Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a few friends just started fishing the river this year and we've been basically winging it as to how to fish them and what time of year certain methods work.

So far we know Jigging works Great in early spring. we killed them all March, April and the first part of May. (we continually jiged after that with very little success).

Then came June, we started Whipping and did pretty good up until the end of June. We also Chugged during the month of June and caught plenty.

Then came July and the chugging shut off, the whipping is dead, but pulling crawlers is going great, but sometimes only decent. I noticed that the whipping is still slow and the handliners are even slow.

I was wondering what some of you here have to say about "when" and "how to" fish the Beautiful St. Clair River for walleyes.?

As you can see we are trying to earn our stripes the hard way , by trying to learn the river on our own. were not asking for yall to give us fish, but just maybe compare notes..

I must say we Love the St Clair. I swear since I started fishing Her, I heard the Detroit river dried up, and as far as I am concerned, it might as well..(and now we get to keep the stuff we left in our trucks while fishing).

Tony from New Haven..( 20 minute drive and were launching)

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
You can still pick up a few jigging again. Try targetting the fish in your productive areas in 22-27 feet of water along serious drop offs. I am not sure if they are along the bottom here, or suspended out further and chasing. My guess would be the latter. People are also picking them up jigging the chanel edges in the shipping and middle channel. All the reports of harnesses here speak for themselves.
<----<<<

1 - 3 of 3 Posts