Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report:
Fished in New Baltimore on both Saturday(PM) and Sunday(AM).
Managed a meal for both days efforts total was about 25 fish. Fish seemed real spooky and anytime anyone came around walking, or spudding, or riding a machine, the fish would just scatter. Started to get mad about it but hey what are you going to do. Anyone else experience this ?
So the big question is:

Are people crowding in on you?
What is a acceptable distance before you ask someone to try to be quiet?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I experience the same thing at SANG. I don't mind the crowds of people so much but those damn snowmobiles drive me crazy. They buzz by your shanty and every time the ice cracks. One time on Sunday the ice shifted and I bolted out of my shanty faster than I thought I ever could.

They need to show some respect and drive around the crowds, not through them. Quads are bad too, but the snowmobiles really piss me off. What's funny about them is that it seems like I always fish further out, and lug twice as much stuff as they do.

I also noticed what you said, anytime fish were around and someone would drive by, they were gone. I hate being a weekend warrior.

Zob

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree. It must sound like cannons going off under the ice. Especially at Selfridge when we are if 4 or 5 FOW. But what are you going to do? Hopefully the fisherman respect that and will act accordingly..........

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Have paint ball gun, will travel!!!!!!!!!!! J/K

unfortunately we just have to deal with it, it would be nice to think that people would be courtious but alot of em prolly do it knowin they are gettin to people and there is nuttin that can be done.... just today at sang i had a guy who actually slowed his 4wheeler down as he came within about 50 yds of me and didnt speed back up till he was way past me, now thats respect.. the fisherman usin the machines are 9 times out of 10 not the ones flyin around...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well I guess I better speak up for the guys on the quads.I have one and it sure saves me a lot of fishing time by getting to the holes faster.
I always try to give everyone a wide berth. I agree, it sure pisses me off when some knucklehead comes within 15 feet of my rig.
It works both ways tho. Its inevitable youre gonna cross paths.
I know of some gas augers that make a helluva lot of racket too.
Redneck

·
Banned
1,819 Posts
Gas augers are my pet peave, although I used to use mine way to much to . But shallow water ,and relatively thin ice equals bad time for gas auger. a five inch Lazer will give you fast quiet holes , without spooking the perch out of there. But common sense ,and ice fishing aren't always good bedfellows.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I could'nt agree more...but I have found the worst of the "offenders" are around the mouth of the Salt River. Around the Fair Haven area the speed freaks really seem to go out of their way to be polite to the fishing people, go past them slower and keep a reasonable distance. But around the Salt River there is not a doubt in my mind that these guys go outa there way to make your life miserable for being in the path of their machines....theres a lot of heavily modified four wheelers coming out of there and they're not afraid to run next to your shanty and crack the throttle open as they pass. So hey...all you paintballers that want some target practice c'mon out!!!! (just kidding of course.....). Maybe they'll be like the jet sledders and just stick around the shore and bother the homeowners instead........

·
Registered
419 Posts
Out at Cotton Rd. I had my 3 wheeler parked outside my shanty and was fishing out away from the crowd at least a 150 yds. away. These guys pulls up and parks right next to my ride and shut down and yell to me ...... "Hey......you doin any good in there....seein any.....? I said " Not now.....I just see them all swimming away.....thanks !"..........I couldn't believe the guys did that ...... What could I say....dealing with that I figured I was better off not to say anything figuring it wouldn't matter anyhow at that point and guessing at the intellilgence level I was dealing with. Oh well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Mudpuppy, I had that same thing happen at Metro last year,,, this guy pulled up SO CLOSE to my shany, that he could reach the zipper on my Shappell,,,, I was P.O'ed to say the least. I let him know it too.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
LOL.. i watched a guy monday morning out of sang about 10am drillin holes with his gas auger, first he had all kinds of trouble gettin it started, then he got a hole partially drilled and it quit and he couldnt get it started or back out of the hole, after a few minutes of messin with it, he got it started and finished his hole but when he finally broke thru, it looked like he let it go and it dropped all the way to the handles...lol i know it really aint related but i thought it was funny.. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hate it. Sometimes I think I only hate it cause I'm jealous while I'm dragging my stuff out watching them all roll past me.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I don't even have a hand auger anymore. So I'm one of "those guys" with the power auger. But what I do is find my spot and fire up the auger and I drill 8 to 10 holes in a BIG area. That way I can cover the entire general area without firing up the auger and spooking the fish time and time again. Then I just fish between the holes until I find a productive one. If none of them happen to be productive, I'll move to another area and do the same thing again. But at least I'm only running the auger ONCE for a fairly short period of time. If that bothers some of you, I'm sorry. But I'm trying to be as courteous as possible.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I would think that a power auger makes less noise in the water that a person spuding a hole. and I'm not all that convinced that a power auber puts any more noise in the water then a reg. hand auger. If your only fishing 3 or 4 foot of water The fish are just spooky.
My friend and I have been out on days, in deeper water, when the perch slowed to a stop. We would flip a coin and one of us would spud a hole next to the shanty. More times than not, by the time the hole was spuded the perch were moving in???

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I gotta agree with ya, Ed. I was at Metro Beach on Sun. and I could hear this strange noise coming from under the ice,,, the kinda sound you hear when a car or truck is driving on the ice, that loud "BOING" kinda sound,, when I looked around I couldnt' see any vehicles, but I noticed this guy spudding a hole,,, about 300 yards away, I couldn't believe how far that sound traveled. I also had a gas auger, and we used to fish Chilson Pond,,, which is about 18" deep, all the way around, and the gas auger NEVER seemed to spook the fish. Sometimes the ATV's and sleds will keep the fish movin' around.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
I agree with ya Ed.... I can't tell you how many times I have spudded a hole and found perch in it. I think that some time it is like rigging a dinner bell for them. I have had sleds buzz me while perch were in the hole..Sometimes they scatter, sometimes they don't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts