Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the early birds that broke out the ice. Launched at 10:30 and trolled for about an hour with no luck. Fair amount of weeds so you had to keep checking the lines. After that, tried for perch for several hours in 16', 22' and 25'. Moved around trying to locate the perch but no luck. Talked to several fisherman at the dock that had the same luck as I did trolling. They marked fish but couldn't get them to go. Just might be time to put the boat up for the winter unless some good perch reports change my mind.

·
Registered
234 Posts
We were out today also. Lots of marks, perfect water conditions and 37 degree water. No takers for 4 hours of trolling. Gave them everything we had.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dad and I wandered out there from about 11-345 went all over in the grey and black “marsh grass” boat. Beautiful water conditions, great clarity, just couldn’t get em to bite. Tried jigging blades and could see them follow on the graph but would never bite...neither perch or eyes....or anything else....which we would have taken....the most exciting part of the day was the 4-1/2 YO STUD of a buck that was next to the driveway as we came into SSP!! He was a dandy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I just think it's a matter of finding that active pod of fish. They are waxing them in Ohio waters even after the cold . Still better then working!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Was talking crane creek and west sister area.... but yes you are right huron and east is warmer

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dad and I wandered out there from about 11-345 went all over in the grey and black “marsh grass” boat. Beautiful water conditions, great clarity, just couldn’t get em to bite. Tried jigging blades and could see them follow on the graph but would never bite...neither perch or eyes....or anything else....which we would have taken....the most exciting part of the day was the 4-1/2 YO STUD of a buck that was next to the driveway as we came into SSP!! He was a dandy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
On Monday, there was a real nice buck on top of the stone wall just as we were pulling out of SSP. He was on the marsh side of the fence. I swung the boat towards him and watched him head down the backside. And that was our highlight also. No pullers in 3 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
If you ever have an extra minute stop at the main office at SSP and check out the buck on the wall.
A STUD 8 point that was poached in the park. What I was told is that the guilty person had to pay for the mount as part of his punishment as well as the standard penalties that he received.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We didn't fish out of Sterling today but launched at Bolles Harbor instead. After a skunk on Monday at Sterling we decided we needed different scenery. It was a very slow day, but we did catch 3 nice walleyes. 24ft of water out by the line and all came on Deep Bandits 60ft back of boards. 1.3-1.5 sog. We were going to quit at 3pm with 1 walleye but at 2:45 we hit one and at 3pm we hit another one. Circled the area and nothing. Oh well, like they say, better than sitting on the couch all day lol

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
We didn't fish out of Sterling today but launched at Bolles Harbor instead. After a skunk on Monday at Sterling we decided we needed different scenery. It was a very slow day, but we did catch 3 nice walleyes. 24ft of water out by the line and all came on Deep Bandits 60ft back of boards. 1.3-1.5 sog. We were going to quit at 3pm with 1 walleye but at 2:45 we hit one and at 3pm we hit another one. Circled the area and nothing. Oh well, like they say, better than sitting on the couch all day lol
How were the weeds out there?

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Great effort Sir Walter, really a mystery on the fish numbers. Middle basin still producing according to reports.

·
Registered
545 Posts
How were the weeds out there?
In some places the weeds were terrible. In shallow where we started they weren't bad but didn't mark anything in close. Out deeper the weeds were bad. We take off shore release clips that we no longer use and pinch them on the line about 6ft above crankbait. They catch most of the weeds and the crankbait runs clean for the most part.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In some places the weeds were terrible. In shallow where we started they weren't bad but didn't mark anything in close. Out deeper the weeds were bad. We take off shore release clips that we no longer use and pinch them on the line about 6ft above crankbait. They catch most of the weeds and the crankbait runs clean for the most part.
That's a great idea for using those release clips.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
We were out there yesterday also, deep water (23-26’) there was a lot of weeds. We got tired of checking lines so we went in shallow. Didn’t make much difference was a big “0” there.
I think that was you who came up on me and the woman fishing. I was in the ranger with the G2. You were headed in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts