Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice fish. How far out were you? I trolled Sunday in 14 to 16 FOW and picked up a mixed bag of eyes, sheep, and white bass. Went from SSP channel to RR and back a few times. Fun for my kids. Hot n tots, Wally divers, and deep husky jerks did the trick. All colors worked. Beautiful day..

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Long story. We headed out around 7am but were afraid of the fog. So we held up in 22' and trolled with the wind 'til the fog cleared. Caught one in 20' at the end of the troll. Fog lifted. Ran to our usual spot up by Fermi. Lots of weed mats. Pain in the neck. Caught squat. Ran more in front of rocks. 26ish deep. Trolled straight in from there. Got better the closer we came. Quit for lunch. Was getting a bit windy.

Reactions: settingnet

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any thoughts on fishing out of Sterling tomorrow? Northeast then east 5 to 10 mph?
it shouldn’t be to bad early!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Was wondering about the weeds. We are headed out Sat morn, first trip of the season
I didn't see any yesterday evening, but they were common this morning in spots.

Hindsight: we should have stuck with "don't leave fish to find fish" earlier today after we caught that one. Might get out this evening again.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I was out there yesterday and there aren't any weeds to speak of S of Stony Pt. But N of the Pt they are really bad. The water color is better S of the Pt as well (IMO). We caught a 2-man limit pulling harnesses in a few hours between RR channel and Stony in 24-28 FOW. Nothing big, all eaters. We made two long passes and were done. Best set-ups were 1 oz in-lines 40 feet behind the boards and 3 oz inlines running 5-6 feet off the bottom straight back, trolling at 1.5-1.7

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
We got out of SSP this morning around 7:00 as well. Made a beeline for the State line just past RR-1,2. Set up in 26FOW and pulled harnesses again. Kind of slow today but the pack was still there. Ended up with 7 keepers (biggest was 26") after throwing back lots of shorts, sheep and white bass. Some really big sheepsheads out in that lake, haha. Took us about 5 hrs to finally get tired of the waves and headed back. Beautiful day on the lake even if it was just a couple of half-man limits. Unfortunately, my last trip for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Any thoughts on fishing out of Sterling tomorrow? Northeast then east 5 to 10 mph?
it shouldn’t be to bad early!
Today's weather looks to be similar to what they're forecasting for tomorrow. Get out there at dawn and fish fast. By noon it's going to be a little bumpy. Our 19' Starcraft had no trouble but my Terrova didn't like it much. You should be fine. We had a lot more marks in the 24 - 26 FOW area NE of RR buoys 1,2 near where the pack was. I don't care for being in the pack but keeping them close seemed to bring better numbers and size. But what do I know? I just started this stuff. This rookie is having a blast though.

Good luck to you. Post a report if you can.

·
Registered
963 Posts
How is the mayfly hatch progressing? They might be full!??
They are in full swing. We have family that lives down the road from sterling and they are all over the house. It definitely affects the bite if it were me I would start looking at the top 3rd of the column.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
They are in full swing. We have family that lives down the road from sterling and they are all over the house. It definitely affects the bite if it were me I would start looking at the top 3rd of the column.
Hmmmm... that's exactly where a lot of my marks were. Not so much deeper/suspended as when I was in the same water on Monday,

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Grabbed 8 on Tots Thursday from 7am to 12. Probably would have done better if we weren't dragging a few around for who knows how long:)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Fish the top 10' right now....happens every year during the bug hatches. Splash count on the weapons, 20-30' back off the boards.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oops. Wrong day!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts