Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We caught 15 eyes, lost at least 7 at the back of the boat and caught a little of everything. I mean almost everything. We were pulling Flicker Shads and Little Rippers in 16 to 1 9 feet but 16 feet was the best for eyes. We caught catfish, sheephead, silver bass, white perch small mouth bass, rock bass and a MUSKY!!! YES A MUSKY at 37 inches and had more girth then any musky I have ever caught. The Musky hit a Flicker shad 40 feet behind the board at 2mph. We had something else hit and take a board under, across the back of the boat and then snapped 20 pound floral carbon. Last year I caught a steelhead on a bottom bouncer near the Ohio line. I love lake Erie because it is always surprising me. I have caught more short walleye this year then all other years combine so I think we have some good seasons to come. I try to post the musky picture.

I did hear some chatter on 68 of some people doing ok for walleye but it sounded like today was tough for both walleye and perch. I have to say I have been very happy with the Flicker Shads this year as I've caught 50 percent of my walleye this year on them between 40 and 55 feet back.

Did anyone else do well and anyone else catch musky in Brest Bay?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
We caught 15 eyes, lost at least 7 at the back of the boat and caught a little of everything. I mean almost everything. We were pulling Flicker Shads and Little Rippers in 16 to 1 9 feet but 16 feet was the best for eyes. We caught catfish, sheephead, silver bass, white perch small mouth bass, rock bass and a MUSKY!!! YES A MUSKY at 37 inches and had more girth then any musky I have ever caught. The Musky hit a Flicker shad 40 feet behind the board at 2mph. We had something else hit and take a board under, across the back of the boat and then snapped 20 pound floral carbon. Last year I caught a steelhead on a bottom bouncer near the Ohio line. I love lake Erie because it is always surprising me. I have caught more short walleye this year then all other years combine so I think we have some good seasons to come. I try to post the musky picture.

I did hear some chatter on 68 of some people doing ok for walleye but it sounded like today was tough for both walleye and perch. I have to say I have been very happy with the Flicker Shads this year as I've caught 50 percent of my walleye this year on them between 40 and 55 feet back.

Muskie is pretty much getting to be caught on a regular basis on Erie nowadays. Several are caught through the ice every year on Brest Bay.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks for the report. My dad is coming down tomorrow and hitting up Erie for the first time of the year. Going to try for perch but we would both take some eyes.

·
Registered
587 Posts

Way to go on the walleyes and that big musky! It is amazing the variety of fish that you can catch there in 16-19 FOW. I caught two five pound smallies Saturday along with every kind of farm animal possible.

Sunday, got six keeper walleyes, six short walleyes and a bunch of farm critters in 18-19 FOW on Little Rippers.

What is your favorite color and size Flicker Shad? I want to give them a try next. Thanks.

Frank

·
Registered
790 Posts

Great job " Keckers " I see where you are buttering your bread these days ;) Have you gotten after the Specks lately ? That's another topic. Good report and gr-8 to see some success. Tight Lines and swinging nets. Cropido aka Ben Out !!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way to go on the walleyes and that big musky! It is amazing the variety of fish that you can catch there in 16-19 FOW. I caught two five pound smallies Saturday along with every kind of farm animal possible.

Sunday, got six keeper walleyes, six short walleyes and a bunch of farm critters in 18-19 FOW on Little Rippers.

What is your favorite color and size Flicker Shad? I want to give them a try next. Thanks.

Frank
Favorite color. That's a tough one. Saturday the purple oil slick was great until something took the Walleye board under and released it with a clean cut through 20 lb floral carbon leader. I then had a yellow with read head which kept up the same rate and caught the musky. Typically the Chartreuse pearl is my favorite but the last week anything with some purple has been good. I really like them and catch a lot of crappie while trolling.

·
Registered
564 Posts

I caught a musky on July 6 out of Boles Harbor (just a little south of Brest Bay)
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/bolles-harbor-7-6-walleyes-and-musky.543134/

·
Registered
564 Posts

I caught a musky on July 6 out of Boles Harbor (just a little south of Brest Bay)
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/bolles-harbor-7-6-walleyes-and-musky.543134/

·
Registered
587 Posts
Favorite color. That's a tough one. Saturday the purple oil slick was great until something took the Walleye board under and released it with a clean cut through 20 lb floral carbon leader. I then had a yellow with read head which kept up the same rate and caught the musky. Typically the Chartreuse pearl is my favorite but the last week anything with some purple has been good. I really like them and catch a lot of crappie while trolling.
Thanks for the lure information. I hope to go out again in the next few days and I would like to try that lure in my spread.

Frank

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the lure information. I hope to go out again in the next few days and I would like to try that lure in my spread.

Frank
I always start with a flicker at 55 feet back but will go up to 40 and down to 75. 55 feet is about 10 feet down. Get the 7cm. I will be ordering more

1 - 18 of 18 Posts