Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

just a note of thanks from me for all your kind thoughts and prayers for Paul this past week. it's meant alot to everyone here and as Paul scratched out on the pad for me... "tell guys thanks" (he's on some heavy drugs, but I printed out all your notes so that he can see them with his "good eye")

told him to get better soon so that I can Kick his arse for not following my orders. "I told you to keep your dam head down, yah!!"

Jen wanted to passed on a note you you all....

----------------------
25 February 2004
I saw Paul today. To look inside of an ICU room, it didn't look like he was hurt at all, but as I got closer I saw the "grapefruit" looking right eye shiner that he has! His ears are not damaged at all; there is a large dark bruise an wound behind the left ear caused from the bullet. He is able to see well with his left eye. He had hearing and vision tests today and the doctors are pleased. He can see some out of the right eye but due to the swelling he is unable to keep the eye open.

Paul is still on monitors and IV's attached everywhere. He has a blood clot in his left lung and he is on medication to thin the blood to hopefully dissolve the clot. He had an angio- exam (come on, give me a break on the spelling here!) this afternoon. We have no results as of this time.

The clot is what is keeping him in ICU; it is a concern.

As soon the doctors give the OK Paul will move to a regular room. The length of stay at Walter Reed Hospital for Paul is unknown. His doctors and nurses are very pleased with Paul's progress thus far. He did ask us to thank everyone for all the thoughts and prayers sent his way. He is truly in awe of how many people care about him.

Thank you one and all for your kind words, offers of help, prayers, and on and on and on. It is a time like this that we are reminded how important family and friends are to us. We pray daily for each of you and mostly for Paul's safe keeping. God has been good to us and we praise him for that!

Love,

Jennifer Maas

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
That sounds like great news. I'm glad to hear that his sight looks like it will be ok. I hope I'm not over stepping myself here but, is there any brain damage that might hinder his hearing or speech? Or does that look like it will recover with no losses? Please keep us updated on his progress and we will continue to keep Pual in our prayers.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Branta, so glad to hear that things are looking better for Paul. Your last post was not very encouraging. We will keep him and his family in our prayers! Paul, if you read this, thank you so much for serving and protecting our freedoms. It really means a lot and I hope one day I can shake your hand. Get well soon! :)

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just put Paul to bed. he thanked you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

it's encouraging to see him more responsive everyday. But though he looks much better with each passing day, we metre this with the stark reality that he faces additional surgeries, rehab and we don't know how well his hearing or sight will recover. the concern now with the reduced swelling is that the bullet mayhave damaged the facial nerve on the left side, (i.e. can't raise his eyebrow, lazy lids, lip on the left side- almost stroke like) and he will have eye surgery due to the trauma.

No brain damage which is fantastic news!(and not a strange question as we all wondered the samething)
and Paul is remembering more and more of what happened that day. (strange details in parts and still vague in others.) it's a wild story that still amazes me when he just starts talking about it again - and scary when he starts halucinating trying to get into his "track" when he's layin' in bed. he's hopped up on some good drugs.)

tonight we received a red cross package and I just had to tell you guys about this- Paul received "get well soldier" letters from....
Holy Family School in Grand Blanc Michigan!

so if you know a Allen Conner in Kindergarten there, tell him thanks for the crayon drawing! it adorns Pauls wall.

or Sarah Amos, Mattie, Ian Heslinger and Harold... all from grand blanc tell them or their families that he appreciates those hand made cards!

Kinda thought that was cool - whats the chance, right?!

kStacemo: that's Paul. he did tours there in the late '90s.

good night guys.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Branta, Im glad to hear he is improving each day. My wife and I talk about Paul daily and I keep her updated. He is in both of our prayers as are you and your familly.

·
Super Moderator
11,763 Posts
Howdy, Branta-

That's truly wonderful news!

Tell him 'Thanks' from the Mollusk clan for all he and his comrades are doing for all of us. We will continue our prayers for a speedy and complete recovery....

·
Registered
890 Posts
It is good to hear he is doing better, he is still in our prayers as are the rest of his family. Keep us updated

·
Super Moderator
11,763 Posts
Good morning,
We have been praying daily for Paul's swift and total recovery...I was wondering if it would be possible for our Children's church to "adopt" him? We are re-vamping our church and I have teaching the kids for the last month on serving and sacrifice. We would love to send along regular packets of mail to him and his wife and if they have kids something for them also...
They are learning of Christ's sacrifice for all of us...and I believe having a tangible idea of sacrifice and service for our country will really hit home with them.
Please let Paul and Jennifer thay have been prayed for every Sunday morning in our Kids church and that my prayer chain is also praying...
God's blessings to all of you,
Nancy

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Branta,

starting to geese show up agin and they are pairing up... as nearly as I can figure that gives Paul 6 months till the opener... he has a seat with me anytime he wants.... tell him there is a guy back in MI looking for a spot for him for the opener so he better geat well soon... are prayers are with you and very proud of the job he is doing...

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mollusk- He's going to be here for some time, so I know he would appreciate that very much. I'll get an address for you.

-----------------------
Last night was bad - lots of bad dreams and hallucinations, so I slept in the room with him.

He gets better physically everyday (these guys are the best of the best I'm told), but now I think the "psychological" trauma is coming to the surface.

this morning, he was visibly upset that he got "touched" . kept saying he screwed up, that he shouldn't be here.

Dad came into the room at that time and tried to say something to make him feel better, but said the wrong thing.

he mentioned that Paul will get a Medal.

He was very mad and mumbled back... won't wear it. it's their (iraqi's) medal (purple heart). means they got me. the 2nd worst medal (POW being the worst). - did I mention he is one "hoo-ah" trooper?!

the only thing I could think of to say was. "Paul, if you didn't do your job right and if they were any good, you and your crew (Bradley crew) wouldn't be here. You'd be dead."

don't know if that was the right thing, but it seem to be enough for now.

As we all worry about Pauls future physical capabilities, he worries about letting his troop down.

crazy.

-------------------
Dead Bird, I'll pass that along when I get back to the hospital (I stink right now and need a shower baaaad!)

Must say I'll be disappointed if he takes you up on it though... Figured he'd be spending it with me!:D

Take care Guys.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's his contact info

SSGT Paul Mass (Patient)
Ward 46
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Ave. N.W
Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Branta , Thought of you this morning. I was out early on the lake doing some Fishing of all things. *shuders*
I watched a flock of geese come mover 15 in it. The 5th back on one side was a snow goose.
I thought. If they can into the field thats the one Branta would take :)
Saw more flocks today they I could count. My guess is the ice will be gone in a few days and the birds know it.
I thought some "light" thoughts might be good for you.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Glad to hear he's coming along ok ! The past is just that, the past ! Can't change it. Change the future ! Hang tough.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brandon - Thanks, could use a laugh! if that poor snow was to fly by my crew... well, it wouldn't be fit for the table I can assure you.
(I actually have some video of just that happening. a single snow came in with about 5 canadas and guess what the take was... yup, one badly mauled Snow!! so much for "shooting your lanes! :p)

speaking of geese - noticing a lot of them lately and pairing up already.

------------
just a quick update.

Paul is going into surgery tomorrow to explore around the ear wound and where the facial nerve was damaged. as it stands right now, he's failed both the nerve test and his hearing in the left ear. BUT I've been told that they can do amazing things in both areas, so we keep our fingers crossed that miracles continue to come his way.

update on the mailing address:
SSG Maas, Paul J. Room 435
c/o Malone House Hotel
One Main Drive
Washington DC 20307-5001

this is the room my sister and 4yr old nephew are at as they seem to move him from room to room at the hospital.

Take Care,
RB

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Guys,

My sister asked that I pass this note along all those that have been helping Paul through his recovery with your kind thoughts and prayers.
As I said before, it's simply a miracle he's still on this earth in the first place with the type of wound he received and we're all astonished with the speed at which he is recovering. He won't be 100%, the hearing on the left side is gone, but we're making progress in other areas.

Thanks again for all your support.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hello to everyone! Just a quick update on Paul's surgeries from yesterday:

He went into surgery around 11:00 a.m. and didn't get out until after 8 p.m. The eye team put a few stitches on his lower right eyelid and more in the left to help the eyelids close (had to tape his eyes closed at night). The nerve team did an exploratory and reconstructive surgery and found out the path of the bullet went deeper toward the skull than they originally thought and did not take a direct route, but everything is ok. I know it sounds strange, and it is much easier to explain in person -- being a demonstrative talker and all!
The doctors had to take a graft from a different nerve lower on the neck to bridge the gap on the facial nerve that was damaged. So short term he will probably not have feeling in the left ear -- long term he probably won't have feeling on the lower ear lobe. They also said he will probably not regain feeling to the left side of his tongue or inside the left cheek. He has a drain tube coming out of his neck for the drainage from the nerve they had to use as a graft, but that should be removed soon. still a question mark on his hearing, but he has none as it stands today.
He will probably be in the hospital for a 5-7 more days, and back here with us at the hotel some time next week. We hope he'll recover quickly, but only time will tell!

Sorry this is so short, but I'm exhausted from last night. Going to get some breakfast soon, then up to visit Paul.

Thank you again for everything, we appreciate all that you've done!

Jennifer

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Its simply amazing what they are able to do to repair the injuries. Im sure I have already said this but if you are reading this Thank you Paul for serving and protecting all of us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts