Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squirrels?
(Yeah, I'm trying to find something to hunt.) What do ya'll think of the late squirrel season? Are they knocked up already, this time of year? Do you guys like to eat em? Anybody have a good recipe? I've killed a few with my bow in the past, but it's been years ago. 'Use to boil, then dip them in flour & fry them in a little bacon grease.' with onions. --Great for the heart.
I'm probably going to try for coyotes , sometime soon, too. They're delicious.:D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Would trying to shoot them off the bird feeder out the kitchen slider be considered baiting? I know we have a policy about baiting.:D

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Has the sun come out lately down there?

It hasn't up here, and we haven't seen a squirrel in weeks, even on the bird feeders. They're denned with all this snow, since they can't go through the snow at all, all movements are contained to the trees, and if they can't go from tree to tree, they aren't going...period.

The late squirrel season so far, in northern MI at least, is a complete wash...now, if we should get several days of warm weather and sun, substantially reducing the snow depths, that will change...BUT, then we could talk about how far you guys can shoot with your longbows-even with a .22 magnum, late season squirrels are TOUGH...I take shots at up to 120 yards, commonly, and still only get the opportunity for ONE shot...;) :D

Some breeding may be taking place in southern MI, but not with all this cold and snow, I would think. I'd like to think I could hunt, if the weather improves at all, until at least mid-February up here, but I don't think anyone's going to get the opportunity.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya Know-
stumps are starting to sound pretty good, bout now. Probably be quite a challenge too, with all this deep snow, ...have to really hunt for them. I understand that they're a little tough to eat tho, like Old Archer's snowshoe hares. Probably have to use a crock -pot. :D

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
With the rain and warm weather we are getting right now I would guess that the next sunny day would be a good one for squirrel hunting! Snow is melting fast so their food source will be a little easier for them to get to.;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm thinking about starting to pay a bounty for fox squirrels!

We counted 23 at one time in the front and back yard the other day. They were even bulldozing under the snow to look for acorns. They eat nearly all the sunflower seeds in my tray feeder and hang upside down to clean out two other bird feeders. They are the first to arrive and the last to leave the spin feeder behind the house where we like to watch deer and the occasional turkey. I mean...they are everywhere!

We've had them baked, grilled, fried, and probably other ways I don't want to know about. I'm not sure I want to eat another squirrel! I think I've discovered another law of physics that our high school teachers forgot to mention: the more you kill, the more there are!

Come on down if you want to gather a few...or several...or a cooler full!

God bless, Arch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts