Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that the season that I enjoy the most is Squirrel season. Maby because it is the first thing that I hunted for? It seems that people that have been hunting them is declining. How many of you still hunt them? And are there that hunted them in the past but have given it up and why?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
i love to be out hunting for squirrels so much fun and so laid back. my earliest memories are hunting squirrels with my dad. i actually just sat there whittling sticks with my dad's knife while he hunted. we would always look around for puffball mushrooms at the same time, usually find a lot where we hunted. also a great time for some scouting of deer. i agree the numbers of squirrel hunters are declining seems if its not big game people just dont care anymore,except for the true outdoors person. i just love being in those woods and what better to do while im out there then pop off a few squirrels:D :D

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I still love it. I go in ohio with some familly over thansgiving weekend as long as the weather is nice.
Now that then exstended the season I plan to go out in January when the weather is warm and brings them out. The one reason I dont go early in the season is Im bow hunting. I hope to be able to go after them some day with the recurve that way I can deer and squirrel hunt :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Squirrel hunting is some of the funnest hunting I think that a person can possibly do. Like RMV said, I also get in some deer scouting while in the woods listening for the dropping of acorns that those bushy tails are trying to get their paws on. What do all of you think about the state opening up the season until March 31 this year? I personally like the idea. To do a little squirrel hunting while snow is on the ground will be fun.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As I get older, I do more and more squirrel hunting... that explains the 10 rimfires in my gun closet. Great idea extending the season! After running myself ragged hunting bunnies, I can go lean against an oak tree, relax, and hopefully add to my bounty.

Squirrel tails... Go here:

http://www.mepps.com/mepps/information/squirrels/

I always save mine and send them in when I get over 50 of 'em. Dip the end in salt, and let dry STRAIGHT. They will keep for a long, long time in your basement, if it is dry. Mepps will give you $, or double your money in lures. I think it's kinda cool that those small mouths I catch on the Grand River are being caught on 'tail dressed lures that I MIGHT have had some small part in making.

Another week... good hunting!

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Love to hunt squirrels! First animal that I seriously hunted when I was younger. 22 or shotgun, the choice is nice. Being able to walk around and not have to be absolutely still is a plus! Finding them once you see them can be a challenge, often times with me, they win..... My buddies 9 year old has been walking with us the past 2 years and she cant wait to be able to hunt them. Just watching here sneek through the woods, listening, looking for signs makes it worth while!! Great meat for chili too!!

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I'm one of those people that quit hunting squirrels. I got really good bird dogs now and enjoy bird hunting better. Maybe with this late season I have to start again sure miss eating those tree rats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I still hunt them, but deerhunting has taken most of my time.
Now with the extended season I can start hunting them more like I use to before I got into bowhunting.:)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I've always enjoyed squirrel hunting, and hunting with dogs. So much so that I bought a little squirrel dog pup a few years ago. (shown here treeing a squirrel) I'm very pleased that the squirrel season has been extended. It will give me alot more time in the woods with this little dog that may well be turning out to be the best hunting dog that I've ever had. He's surely the most intense and focused one.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Never hunted with a squirrel dog, but it sounds like a hoot. I also like to hunt squirrels, but I dont let anyone on my deer hunting properties, for risk of bumping a nice buck.

I do like to set a side some property for small game hunting, but I am always wondering if this is someones deer hunting place, and am I bothering their way of hunting.

Oh well you cant make everyone happy. I cant wait to take my son, when he gets older. He is only 2.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I love squirrel its the best i just stated liking it last year use to just bow/gun hunt for deer and birds but now all season all i can think about is going up north walking down that great trail i found with oaks all around acorns falling every where man!!!
i cant wait:)
as far as there not being as many people into it as before good more for me less hunters;)

as much as i love hunting them i dont think it is a good idea to make the season longer give them time to rest why over hunt them remember the ones that get away are just waiting for next season:p

·
Registered
550 Posts
For years I hunted squirrels. My mother truly loved cooking and eating squirrels so much in fact she told me to stop bringing home rabbits and get more squirrels. I didn't agree but brought her every squirrel I harvested. She died in 1991 and I found myself thinking about her a lot while squirrel hunting.....while that sounds good, it wasn't too much fun re-hashing memories so I stopped going squirrel hunting. Just something about it brought back those rough times.

Now my oldest is 5 years old and has been bugging me for over a year to go hunting. Squirrel hunting is *THE* way to introduce kids to hunting in my book so this will be his first year. No way will I take him duck hunting yet as I don't want to be taking him back to the launch within an hour because he's cold/wet/bored/etc., but I know I can get 1-3 hours out of him for squirrel hunting.

Bringing this up reminds me I need to get a new scope on my .22 rifle. My wife is gonna love that. :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love to go once before the bow opener. I tried BBQ grilling them last year and was amazed at the flavor. However, I found that only the hind legs made for a great meal because the front was real tendony and wasn't worth the effort in separating the good meat. What is a good way to utilize the rest of the squirrel?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Love to hunt them....same problem with rabbit's though....i can't hardly bring myself to cook and clean them. Gross! But if someone would post some good instructions and recipies....I would be thankful.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
This is part of my bowhunting camp tradition. We all go up and squirrel hunt along with getting ready for the upcoming bow season. Set up stands, shoot, etc.... Any squirrels we take get cleaned and frozen for a fry during our big bowhunting opener. We deep fry them in a turkey fryer like ckicken wings battered in "Hooter's" wing batter along with an ice cold libation. Yummmmy! :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
I boil them until the meat falls off, them simmer them in gravy with mushrooms and onions and put them on fresh biscuits. Cant beat this for breakfast.

I also have a recipe for stuffed shells, I will post it next week after I try it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I haven't hunted them since mid 60's when I was a pup.

I have a little ruger 22 revolver and plan to hunt them some this season. My brother in-law has challenged me and said that I have to use the handgun. I shot at one and missed last season, but since have put 600 rounds through the handgun, most of which after installing a red dot scope.

Them little buggers are in serious trouble this season. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts