Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the 08 Hunting Guide and it states that you cannot shoot any rifle ( rimfire included ) unless it`s at approved rifle range from the 1-14 Nov . I am paraphrasing a bit but as I read it, you can be ticketed if you use a .22 to hunt squirrels from the 1st to the 14th of November . Take a look and correct me if I`m wrong . Was this always in there and have I been lucky to not have been "caught" ? Or did I read it wrong :confused: ? If I read it right I wanted to make sure that other tree rat hunters are made aware.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is correct. The rule always seemed clear to me so I always go back to the shotgun for those two weeks. Maybe there are others that never noticed it either, but if the DNR are in the woods more this year looking for baiters I would guess someone will get caught.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Would this include a pellet gun? I was not aware of this. I guess I'll have to go to the DNR site & check the wording. Sometimes even that is not 100% clear. I know that some local township hunting ordinances and even some state laws consider anything larger than .177 caliber a "firearm" regardless of whether it actually powered by gunpowder or not. Thanks for making me look into it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
???? My book says from Nov 10-14. Page 11. Misprint?
Also I was looking for clarafication on small game hunting in zone 3 with .22. Legal or no? I should know this as long as I've been hunting but couldn't find it in the book.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Not only rimfire but slugs, cutshells and buckshot.

Ferg. .22 rim and any centerfires are legal to hunt with in zone 3 just NOT for deer. Yes a person can use a .300 WSM in zone 3 just not November 10 -30. If I got your question right.

Skinner

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Not only rimfire but slugs, cutshells and buckshot.

Ferg. .22 rim and any centerfires are legal to hunt with in zone 3 just NOT for deer. Yes a person can use a .300 WSM in zone 3 just not November 10 -30. If I got your question right.

Skinner
That's what I thought, just been a number of years since I targeted small game in zone 3 and wanted to be clear.
Knew you could hunt with "bigger" guns for coyote, hogs and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts