Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just planted a bunch of norway spruce 1 to 2 footers last fall and i just noticed they are all starting to brown. is there anything i can do besides just watch them die? help quick please and thanks.... matt.

·
Registered
959 Posts
This happens every year to some of my trees. Most likley they died from windburn from the winter. How to fix.......Plant some new ones. Also I was told not to plant spruces in the fall, I have planted some in the past and some made it and some died.

Rob

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Plant In The Spring And Stake And Burlap For Fall And Winter For A Couple Of Years. As Stated Above Wind Burn Kills Trees And Shrubs, Thats Why You See **arborist** Transport Their Trees And Shrubs Wrapped And Protected From The Wind In Transporting Them To The Planting Site. Also, Research What Ph Level Is Needed For Your Plantings Specific And Adjust Ph If Needed. Anything More Call A Licensed **arborist** Not Just Some Guy Who Whacks Trees A Major Difference!

·
collector
4,440 Posts
wind burn is more than likely the culpert...could be that the needles only dehydrated, they might not be dead yet! check the bud sets at the ends of each branch....if hard and briddle, the plant is dead, if still green plant is alive. just because it looks dead or dieing dosen't mean its deas yet.... wait un till its time for the trees to candle out.[ trem used when spruce grow in the spring.]
I'am not an arborist, but I have worked in the Green Industry for more than 25 years... MCN [Michigan Ceritified Nurseryman]

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
sadworld, fall planting is not a good idea for Spruce. Always spring plant. The roots don't get a chance to get settled in and growing, and are effected by the freezing temps.

I have planted spruce for many years. Typically the following spring after planting they look pale yellow. Then they snap right out of it, and stay green. The trees you see turing brown are most likely going to die. Replace the dead with new trees this spring.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have an area on my property whetre we planted spruce twice. They died both times. This area catches a lot of wind and I suspect that's what killed the spruce. On a positive note, the deer made a nice trail thru the opening that was created where the spruce died.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I talked to a tree fellow a while back about rusty trees:sad: . He told me to take a little dishsoap and mix with water and spray them. You might as well give it a try all it can do is kill them LOL:lol:

I remember last year driving west on M-72 in alcona county and seeing a lot of rusty trees as I think of it. I have to check them out next trip I have that way.............m

·
Registered
823 Posts
Next time, stick with spring planting. :( We've been planting 10's of thousands of spruce and pine trees over a 30 year period with good success.

Any tree suffers a degree of shock or stress when dug. To then be exposed to the rigors of winter immediatly following that (without adequate time to recover) is a double whammy to the tree's vitality. I like planting April 10-20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts