Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
12 ring,
I used to build 15-20 1911's a year for customers looking for better than out of the box performance,that fell off sharp here about 3 years ago when Kimber hit the market.
Springfield took notice and offered their "Upgrade"models,featuring better slide to frame fit,better trigger geometry,ambi-safety,etc.Springfield still isn't as nice as kimber,Les baer,Wilson etc. but honestly unless you are competing at the upper most levels the Springfields are good solid performers.My partner has a V10 that I did some smoothing on,and has been a solid piece all around.It has about 800 rounds through it now without a burble.
If you plan on using it for a carry piece,pick up 500 rounds of ball ammo and just shoot it,to break it in.Then shoot at least 5 boxes of the ammo you decide to carry with,to prove it's reliability.
One caveat on the ported compacts...they don't like light bullets.Stick with the 230gr stuff.Between the ports cutting recoil and reduced slide mass,and the bodacious recoil spring,it takes some "ooomph" to cycle the things.Good luck to ya!Pat

· Registered
173 Posts
12 ring,
Sure a step down to a lighter spring would possibly allow for better feeding,but would also allow a higher slide speed to the rear and increase the chance for frame damage,and reduce return to battery speed which could cause hang ups as well with less than optimum magazines,feed ramps etc.The little booger has such a short cycle that everything has to be just so,and in balance with the load fired or reliability issues arise.My Partner Steve is selling his for $525.00,as he does the reserve officer thing with the county,and the Sherrif say's no to 1911's.He picked up a Kel-tec and figures he only needs 1 back up not 2.
If you get the V-10 try it with the Win SXT 230gr ammo and you will be amazed at how little recoil there is,and no real need to tinker with lighter loads.OH!yeah, one other thing,make sure you get out at dusk and practice a bit as well.The big "V" flames from the ports take some getting used to in low light,and it's better to see it in practice than when the chips are down for the first time.Good luck to ya!Pat

· Registered
291 Posts
I bought a new Springfield and it jammed right out of the box. I sent it back and I guess they fixed it, I got rid of it right away. The company did OK by me but I was not impressed. I like to think that it was just a fluke and that Springfields are good guns, but I don't think I could recommend one. I hope you have better luck than me. PS If you are getting this gun for the new CCW, I would also recommend against carrying a single action auto. I like a DAO or revolver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.