Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old springer constantly wants to chew on my socks, blankets, pillows, etc...... I correct him each time but he is not curbing this behavior. I have plenty of chew toys for him but he prefers to chew on the things that I use. Is this a puppy issue and if so when can i expect it to stop? What techniques have you used to stop biting?

I should add that he does get exercised 2-3 times a day during the week. During the weekend he gets exercised a lot more because we are out in the filed training. His chewing behavior seems to be the worst a couple hours before bedtime. I appreciate any advice/tips you can provide.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yes it is a puppy issue. By the time the dog is a year old it will have stopped that for the most part.

Lock the dog in his crate when you're not home, in the bathroom, etc and keep anything you don't want chewed off of the floor.

Puppies chew, it's a fact of life. :dizzy: Buy the pup a nylabone or rawhide and stay vigilant. This will pass.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I second the fact that it is probably just a puppy thing. It sounds like he is adequately exercised, eliminating the possibility of boredom chewing.

You mentioned he does this more frequently a couple of hours before bedtime. It could be a sign that he is overly tired and is acting out a bit. Much like a toddler. Often times young puppies (sporting breeds, especially) don't know when to quit. They will push the envelope and become a terror, then immediately fall asleep.

I still have this issue occasionally with my 1yo. Her chew spot is the underside of our living room couch. It always happens at night and usually after a full day of activity right before bed. When this happens, it's straight to the crate. She immediately falls asleep.

If you feel your pup has been adequately exercised for the day and is still chewing on everything, try a "time out" in the kennel.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes it is a puppy issue. By the time the dog is a year old it will have stopped that for the most part.

Lock the dog in his crate when you're not home, in the bathroom, etc and keep anything you don't want chewed off of the floor.

Puppies chew, it's a fact of life. :dizzy: Buy the pup a nylabone or rawhide and stay vigilant. This will pass.
Agreed, to add to what is mentioned above, be sure you are consistent in what you tell your dog when he has some house hold item in his mouth. We tell our Springer "Not Yours" when he has something he isn't supposed to. Our ESS is almost 3 now and when he hasn't gotten enough exercise, he starts picking things up and carrying them around in his mouth. Rarely does he damage anything he picks up and when we (me, wife and the kids all use this) say "not yours" he drops what he has immediately.

With a consistent approach, you should see marked improvement by the time the dog is a year old.

As far as exercise goes, there doesn't seem to be an upper limit for Springers... I have yet to wear my dog out. He will go as long as I let him. Wear that dog out and you will also see improvement.

2 cents

·
Registered
326 Posts
Kitchen towels.......holy crap, everytime we turn around our kitchen towels are all over the house.
Riley, our 5 month old, is in the same phase. He has plenty of toys, but consistantly pulls the kitchen towels off the stove handle and drags them all over the place. He's also been caught grabbing hand towels off the washing machine and making off with them too.
He's also been dragging clothes down from our upstairs bedroom and leaving them in the hallway. Now if I could get him to drag the dirty ones down to the basement we'd have a great game.......

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm on my second ESS, 4 years old now. They both chewed as pups, we lost lots of school books, furniture legs, kid's flip flops, and no plastic pop or water bottle was safe for a second. They did grow out of it, but a big part of my problem was the kids and wife deciding some stuffed animal or frisbee or soccer ball was old and could be a "puppy toy". Once I clamped down on the family and insisted the nylabone, kong, and nyla frisbee were the only dog toys, the dogs seemed to have a lot less confusion. My springer will still find a clean sock, get it all the way in his closed mouth, then come and sit in front of me until I notice his cheeks are puffed out and I ask him what he has. :lol:

·
Registered
326 Posts
After I posted my comment, I forwarded the thread to the wife to show her we aren't the only one going through this. We got out last Springer when he was already a year and a half old. She corrected me that he's now 6 months old.
Here he is in one of his rare calm moments.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a 6 month old springer. same situation. i have to go pick up the bathroom trash every 5 mins. the other day she chewed on the trim around the slider.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Our Springer picks up any and everything loose, but luckily does not chew/destroy. We now warn our overnight guests to put any thing that could be embarrassing away (underwear, false teeth, Etc).
When we let him outdoors or back in the house we search his mouth to ensure nothing we want to keep leaves nor things are brought in that should stay outside (Mice, Birds, Stick, Etc).

Good luck and enjoy your Springer.....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
First do not get mad at the pup for taking things that he should not have do not yell at him especially do not yell "no" at him. Trade with something he can chew. When you can't monitor him put him in his crate. If he is biting ankles stand still and don't move. He should give up when his prey stops moving. This is linked to his prey drive and you don't want to squash it by yelling at him. If he is biting and it hurts you should yelp ow. The biting and chewing will go away as long as you don't make a game out of it.

I agree with this. Its important not to give items to the dog that confuses them about what is something they can chew and something they can't.

They did grow out of it, but a big part of my problem was the kids and wife deciding some stuffed animal or frisbee or soccer ball was old and could be a "puppy toy". Once I clamped down on the family and insisted the nylabone, kong, and nyla frisbee were the only dog toys, the dogs seemed to have a lot less confusion.
Nice looking pup HeavyF150.

Sinabomb, I told my wife and daughter what you were going through they both looked at our springer and said we now what that's like and laughed.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
After I posted my comment, I forwarded the thread to the wife to show her we aren't the only one going through this. We got out last Springer when he was already a year and a half old. She corrected me that he's now 6 months old.
Here he is in one of his rare calm moments.....

With a face like that, who could get mad about a little chewing? hehe

Good luck. He'll grow up real soon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I agree with I'm With Brandy's post, don't get mad at the pup and don't use NO when he/she is picking up and carrying things, trade with authorized toys is a good idea.
Our springer as a pup pick up and carried everything (socks, pop cans u name it) we would scold him and tell him to drop what ever he was carrying. When we started training and hunting him he would go to the down bird, pick it up, then look back at us with a questioning look, while having a flash back of his previous training (bad) then drop the bird and start back to hunting.

It took a full season to convince him retrieving was Okay.....since then we praised him when he picks up stuff and trade him a treat or toy....
Springer are both Smart, good memory, want to please, and soft tempered.
Very easy to insert unwanted behavior.

But it is fun training them, watching them grow into good companions and hunters....something the fellas that purchase pre-trained packaged dogs miss out on.....

·
Registered
849 Posts
Great advice all. I expect I'll be in the same boat in few months. I just mailed my deposit out to a breeder for my first ESS. Born 10/25, should be home around X-mas.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Great advice all. I expect I'll be in the same boat in few months. I just mailed my deposit out to a breeder for my first ESS. Born 10/25, should be home around X-mas.
Congrats! A field breed I assume... they are great dogs and incredible to watch in the field.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jekart, congrats on the pup.

Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. We had been telling him no and taking away whatever object he was chewing on. We are now replacing the item he is chewing on with one of his chew toys.

I have another question for everyone. How long do you keep your springer in his crate?

I work full time and my wife works from 8:00-11:30 as a teacher. The dog is locked in our small bathroom with his toys and his crate for about 4 hours every weekday. I feel terrible if i have to put him in the crate any other time. At night he either sleeps with us or in his open crate next to the bed.

Some of the suggestions were to put the dog in his crate if he was behaving badly with the chewing. I would think this would lead the dog to hate his crate. What do you think?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Jekart, congrats on the pup.

Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. We had been telling him no and taking away whatever object he was chewing on. We are now replacing the item he is chewing on with one of his chew toys.

I have another question for everyone. How long do you keep your springer in his crate?

I work full time and my wife works from 8:00-11:30 as a teacher. The dog is locked in our small bathroom with his toys and his crate for about 4 hours every weekday. I feel terrible if i have to put him in the crate any other time. At night he either sleeps with us or in his open crate next to the bed.

Some of the suggestions were to put the dog in his crate if he was behaving badly with the chewing. I would think this would lead the dog to hate his crate. What do you think?

At that age, never more than four hours without a potty break... you run the risk of bladder control problems if it is longer. We crated our dog at night for the first year and a half. We use the crate to keep him out of trouble... out from under foot, when he is wet, and for discipline... he still loves the crate and goes in it consistently on his own. I think getting upset with him is far worse than using the crate for discipline. The same method is used for all of our rescue dogs and we have never seen a sign of any of them hating the crate. This is just one persons opinion... but we have dealt with a lot of springers... and have had consistent results doing this so take it with that grain of salt, and for what it is worth to you. Others do it different and effectively as well so get as much input as you can, and see what works for you. If something doesn't work after giving it the old college try, try something different.

That said, basic obedience is going to be the key to resolving most of you problems... and puppys chew... that is a fact of life.

Oh, and don't feel bad about using the crate, you will find that they actually like it once they get used to it.

2 cents

1 - 20 of 21 Posts