Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 5+ years my brother and I gave done the Detroit river and lake Erie. We are thinking about changing it up a little this spring and fishing sag bay and river. We've been up on the ice in February and had a good time and caught fish. Just wondering for those that gave fine both the Detroit and Sag bay systems how they compare to each other. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little bit of both. We want the #'s plus the chance of a 8+lb fish. But a livewell full of eaters is never a bad thing! The week we have planned is April 18th-25th so getting on the river isn't an option but can we still find good #'s and "some" size on the bay?
What exactly are you looking for when it comes to choosing? Quantity? Quality? Scenery?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
A little bit of both. We want the #'s plus the chance of a 8+lb fish. But a livewell full of eaters is never a bad thing! The week we have planned is April 18th-25th so getting on the river isn't an option but can we still find good #'s and "some" size on the bay?

Absolutely! The good thing about that time frame is you dont have to go far from the mouth.. last year early April we were catching alot of spawned out females.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
If you bail out of this thread Sprince and go to the bottom of the page there are page numbers at the bottom. Go back through them 100 at a time to find last spring and springs before. More info than you'll want to read! Not being a smart azz just puttinng out the info.

Reactions: Ralph Smith

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
For the week you picked, it makes zero sense to pick a destination where the season is closed on the wind protected water. If you get a few days of east winds, the Bay might not be safe to fish unless you are bringing a 30 foot boat. Push the trip back a week if you want the new scenery, or enjoy the peak bite on the DR that time of year.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
And to add to the list, if you had a preferred time between March and the end of June. The different systems have different peak times.
They all have walleye from March to June in good #s.... Saginaw bay is more for #s then any between July-August No "peak" time for any which one of em. Pick one and fish it for any specific reason between that time frame

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
They all have walleye from March to June in good #s.... Saginaw bay is more for #s then any between July-August No "peak" time for any which one of em. Pick one and fish it for any specific reason between that time frame
There is a peak on each river system, or at least the beginning of the aggressive bite linked to water temperature and the spawn/post spawn cycle. There are lots of fish everywhere year round, but by the time the water gets into the low 40’s, the bulk of the fish are spawning and jigging cadence isn’t as important. Then they go on the post spawn eating binge where the bite is even better. In a normal year, the Sag will warm up first in the spring, followed by the DR, and then SCR last. But if there’s tons of snow on the ground at the end of winter in the Bay Area, it might be closer to the warming schedule of the DR. After the hot post spawn bite, many fish migrate out to their adjacent big water summer feeding areas.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I started fishing the Det River and Erie a long time ago. 7-8 years later I wanted to learn the bay (still learning by the way). Tried fishing the Sag river a few years back in the spring and did okay. Fished the river a ton this fall in fact, I skip the rifle opener to fish the river. 3 day trips to the river I boated over 60 fish. With some of my largest walleyes to date. This spring I spent some time trolling around the mouth of the sag river and caught a spawned out male 30", my biggest to date.
Comparing the 2 imo...... I would say your best chance at a monster would come from the Det river or Erie. The over all average size is also bigger there too. However I believe you can catch more fish in the sag river/bay and the fish are better tasting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,416 Posts

If your looking for numbers and the chance at a bigger fish the inner bay in that timeframe is what your looking for.

Mid April last year pulling husky jerks in shallow water.

If you want to try for bigger fish but maybe fewer numbers head north around smaller river mouths dumping into huron

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,488 Posts

That will be prime-time on the Detroit River. You can fish with 1000 of your buddies, and expect to pound Walleyes. Not quite as many boats on weekdays, but still busy. For a reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts