Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
As soon as the ice is out. I'm hoping for next weekend. Depending on your boat, you can probably be out today. Spring Trolling is GREAT!!!!! Woooooooooo Hooooooooooooo(I'm excited)...:cool: :D

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Today with the weather being in the 20`s and feeling in the single digits.Get out there now you are burning daylight.We arent going have many days like this for now.:D :D :D

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
here is the lake conditions for southern huron.

THIS AFTERNOON...NORTHWEST GALES TO 35 KNOTS...DECREASING TO 30
KNOTS. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. WAVES 5 TO 9 FEET.
.TONIGHT...NORTHWEST WINDS TO 30 KNOTS...DECREASING TO 10 TO 20
KNOTS LATE. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. WAVES 5 TO 8 FEET...SUBSIDING
TO 3 TO 6 FEET.
.SATURDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BACKING TO SOUTH. WAVES 2
TO 4 FEET.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS...INCREASING TO 15 TO
25 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SNOW OVERNIGHT. WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET.
.SUNDAY...SOUTH WINDS TO 30 KNOTS VEERING TO SOUTHWEST. RAIN LIKELY.
WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET.
not likely to be good conditions? although i have never fished in tight but suspect it would still suck!:D although better than working.;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Gee Darin
Thanks for the weather repot i was just thinking about getting ready. I still have to put on my Rocket Launchers that Bob K.
Getaway Designed for me but that wont take long. Couple holes in the hard top and bolt it down and a way we go.

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Sounds like a great day to hit the big water.Im putting on my 10 layers of warm cloths getting ready to go right after I finish with this reply.:D :eek:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What methods do you use and can you use the same rods and line and you use for kings...Only 17 and looking to get out in the early spring for the first time and have no clue what to expect, any help would be great..THanks

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
I use the same rigs I use for Kings. The only difference is I use inline planer boards, so I put a large swivel about 3' ahead of the lure so the board stops before the fish. Bombers and Rapalas on Lake Huron, and Cleos on Lake Michigan (for browns).

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
bombers raps and thundersticks will work on lake michigan just fine as well...

Basically use stick baits, hot n tot's or casting spoons such as cleos, KO wobblers, and Krocadiles...all will catch fish...

Inline planer boards work great...I recomend the Mr Walleye boards they are orange and you can set them so they do NOT release and slide down the line...I like that much better...Get hte board to the boat take it off and then fight the fish without the board...I don't like them slipping down the line even if it is three feet above the fish...

As well you can get a planer mast and use big boards work very well as well.

Good Luck...

Oh PS if you don't have any boards long lining works too...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same pound line? or what.....How fast do you troll and what depths and how far down? IM a newbie! and need some help

Thanks alot guys

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
I use 17# test with 20# or 25# leader from the swivel to the bait. For browns try around 2 mph, maybe alittle faster or slower depending on what works. I set the outside board about 100' to 150' behind the boat, then each one 25' to 50' less as they get closer to the boat. In clear water you may have to run them even longer. I run bombers and Raps with no weight. The Raps will run 3 or 4 feet down, the bombers a little deeper. Some guys will troll in as close as 3 or 4 feet of water. I try to stay in the 8' to 12' range. But you may have to change to find fish. I always run one long line behind the boat 150' to 200' back. It's always good for a fish.

·
Registered
79 Posts
dajumboman; I fish out of Manistee and Frankfort for browns in the spring(now) with planner boards but I only use 6-8lb test line with 10-13 foot noodle rods in a 14 ft. boat. I fish anywhere from on the beach to about 25 fow. I use rapalas mostly. Troll SLOW. I've found that the liter the line the better.(for me anyway) good luck and screaming drags

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
dajumboman, wher do you live/fish? What kind of boat and equipment do you have? That is all going to determine how you spring fish. The best way to learn is really to get out fishing with someone who knows what they are doing. You'll learn more in 4- 6 hours than you would in a monthes reading websites(not to knock this fine website, just my opionion). If you and your dad are just getting into it, I always recomend checking out a club. You'll meet alot of like minded people and learn alot that way too.

As too spring techniques. You can get away with using a little lighter tackle in the spring. I use alot of body baits. Your spring presentation will focus more on "spreading it out" than "getting it down".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts