Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first year fishing on a boat, how is the salmom fishing near lexington in the spring, what type of bait should I expect to use? With this warm weather it won't be long!!

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
Early in the spring, try using any kind of body baits that imitate minnows/smelt/alewives. I usually use Rapalas and Yo-Zuri minnows. We also troll with the same spoons we use throught the year, too. It seems like one of the hottest colors this early for the last couple of years has been Black Raspberry. You can contact Mike Mullins at Mullins Sports and More in Lex for up-to -the-date fishing info. He's a M-S website member. Good Luck and watch the weather!

Rich(Mags):)

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Lexington in April is my favorite month to troll. Fishing can be fantastic out of there once you know what to do. Put in your time and you will be rewarded with BIG Kings. There is nothing like an 18 lb SPRING king!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Body baits and spoons are solid performers in lex in the spring. Big boards or inlines pulling rapalas, bombers, ect...

I caught a 18.5 king 2 years ago trolling a mag hot 'n tot there in the first week of april.

·
Registered
715 Posts
fishing out of lex is great in the spring try south of the harbor all the way south to the state park trolling slow with body baits in
12 to 18fow mornings seem best

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
MOst people rely on body baits for spring kings, but dont be afraid to throw a small spoon or two at them either. As mentioned before, nothing like a big spring king....i hope you have a lot of line on your reel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts