Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a "Premium Perenial" plot that has been over run by a broadleaf weed that looks like "rhubarb" for a lack of a better description. I've tried mowing the plot but it comes back so fast the clover/chickory/brassicas can't keep up. If you look under these weeds there is deffinately clover growing underneath. I've decided to mow it one or two more times and leave it to see how the clover does next year (thinking it will be an ealier, and better stand perhaps out competing the weeds). Am I making the right decision or is this plot a total loss?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh well, thanks anyways...
I'll just wait and see what happens.
Hopefully my fall plots will turn out better, last nights rain will help...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh well, thanks anyways...
I'll just wait and see what happens.
Hopefully my fall plots will turn out better, last nights rain will help...
Can you get some photos? Its hard to tell someone to start over without seeing the field.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The description of the weed being like "rhubarb" brings to mind a weed I had to contend with at my place near Holly. It was a thistle plant but i can't remember the type. It thrived on disturbed soil (tilling). If so, you want to get it out of the plot. Mowing won't do it because it stores a lot of reserves in its long and thick taproot. If its thistle you may just want to go and spot spray the plants unless its taken over the plot. May want to do a search to see if you can identify it

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The description of the weed being like "rhubarb" brings to mind a weed I had to contend with at my place near Holly. It was a thistle plant but i can't remember the type. It thrived on disturbed soil (tilling). If so, you want to get it out of the plot. Mowing won't do it because it stores a lot of reserves in its long and thick taproot. If its thistle you may just want to go and spot spray the plants unless its taken over the plot. May want to do a search to see if you can identify it

I'll try to get picks...might be a few days. I think your right on Direwolfe, but it's beyond spot spraying now (I did try it on a few with Killzall but it didn't seem to effect them much). I had the same problem with them last year...the plot had brassicas in it, I kept it mowed until the brassicas just took over. Actually turned out really well. I think I just got lucky. I was hoping the Premium Perenials would do the same thing but they're not.
These plants are hard to get rid of, you can't even pull them out of the ground. I get them in my lawn sometimes next to posts.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts