Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
35,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard the first peeps this evening. Man I love to hear that sound every year.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Same here. Heard the peepers last night and then this morning the wood frogs were also active. Heard a wood duck in the swamp too. Time to crack the window a little at night.

·
Administrator
35,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some more listening last night and heard wood frogs as well. It's like somebody flipped the switch on over here.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Saw my first two sandhill cranes earlier this week. The first fly-by of the year can be a bit startling!!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I've been hearing them the past couple nights too. Great sound to fall asleep by.

Last Thursday while out kayaking the flint river I also heard a male blue bird.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Heard them tonight at an afterwork stop on my way home.

Croaking frogs and my taste switching to Pale Ale. Spring is here for sure!:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
well too have heard the peepers and also have seen a few painter turtles. crawlers are up and soon the morels will be a popping.

·
Registered
640 Posts
We have had Bluebirds checking out the net boxes last couple of days.

We are in the flight path of the Sandhill cranes going to the nesting area in Walkerville about 3 or 4 miles North of us (as the Crane flies). They have been coming over in large formations for about a week or so. Some of the formations are up so high you can hardly see them but they sound like they are about tree top high.

Saw my first Loon of the year yesterday also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a 1 acre pond about 25 yrds from my house, we slept with the windows open friday night. The geese were gees-ing the peeps were peeping. just great music to sleep by.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I heard a loon on the lake across the road from our property in Hillsdale county this past Sunday.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Ahh yessssss, I was cutting up some trees the other day and the peepers were a peeping and the garter snakes were out hunting. Spring is here at last!:)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Sounds like you guys are alot more "spring" than us up here, but the tell-tale signs are showing every day.

On Saturday I saw a guy icefishing (with shanty) out in the middle of Lake Margrethe, but during the weekend I also saw robins, sandhill cranes, and my son chased a frog down by our creek. I even heard a phoebe (which blows me away...there are no bugs for it to catch yet). The gobblers have been waking me up every morning for a month now, so thats nothing new...but is another sure sign of spring. An awesome time of year!

Cant wait for the morels...the sign of spring which tastes great, too!

-Northcountry

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Heard the peepers as well and I've seen TONS of waterfowl, if only I saw that many in the fall.....

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've never actually seen one "peeping" but since the sound almost always comes from a marsh or woods, I've always assumed theyre a small frog...like a tree frog.

-Northcountry

·
Registered
328 Posts
Originally posted by Bookmaker
I know I`m opening the door for a variety of comments.
But what exacly are peepers, and what do they grow up to be.
thanks for asking that question, I had no idea what a peeper was :p I was going to ask myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts