Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys here it is Feburary and is been bitter cold since before christmas. The rule for lower lake Huron is when we have a cold winter spring fishing is good. But also with the lake so cold for so long this winter its going to again be hard on the baitfish. So what do you guys think. Is fishing going to suck again throughout the summer like it did last year??? :( Or do you think last year was just a screwy year and things will be back to what we have seen over the last 8-10 yrs ??? I for one dont see things turning around for the lower lake this year. The lack of bait we saw last year didnt get a break from the winter this year and I think they will again have a bad dieoff. We have had for the most part pretty mild winters over the last ten years except for the last two and I hope I'm wrong but I'm not very optimistic about this coming salmon season.... Your thoughts?????

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know, I'm not very optomistic. The bad winter good spring fishing theory has been around for along time but I think it all has to do with bait. If we get a mild winter we dont get a bad alwife dieoff and the kings dont have to look for more food like spawning smelt in shallow water. Salmon are just like you and I "they dont leave food to find food". They come into shallow water to find food. They leave deep water because the food has died in a harsh winter. I know thats just another theroy but its better than any other I have heard on the subject. If the alwife didnt have a good year last year and we have a bad winter this year yes we may see a few more kings in early spring. But with the fall off of the smelt in Huron now theres nothing for the fish to eat in shallow water either. Mike you are right we have not seen balls of bait that make your rods jump when you drive through them in around five years in the south end of the lake. Looking back over my records from the last ten yrs and records of several charter captians. Ill take a mild winter over a bad one every time. You may not hit as many fish in april but in the last 10 years the overall catch rates out of sanilac are alway better with a mild winter..... Take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is the way I look at it. If you put in lets say 1 laker a year and 1 king a year into a pond. After four years you have four of each, right? Then by year 5 the four year old king has died and now with the same program you will never have more than 4 kings in the pond. But the LT's live 10-15- 20yrs???? Even if you plant fewer lakers than kings it just makes sence that over time the lakers will outnumber kings. I dont think that is nessarally a bad thing as the lake trout are a native species but it seems to me that the DNR would have a much harder time trying to estimate the number of lakers in the lake as two the number of Kings.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Heres a question for you. Why does it seem that salmon are being affected and not Lake trout ?? Maybe its in there metabolism ?? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
In regards to Stelmons observation on the minnows. While seeing any kind of bait fish is good. Minnows are not going to do Salmon any good really they Typically stay very close to shore and are not the type of forage salmon can really target. Kings need Alwives and smelt. Bait that is a more free rangeing deep water fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.