Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts
Those articles are kinda scary Mike. I wonder if its a cyclic thing. I know that when water levels drop, this gives the shorelines a chance to grow vegitation. When the lake levels go back up, the vegitation is submerged which then deposits organisms into the lakes to start the food chain. Hopefully this starts happening this year and maybe things will turn around.

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts
I agree with Capt Heavy, last year there seemed to be more lakers in Huron than I've ever seen. We trolled the shallows in the spring and the lakers were so thick we could not keep them off our lines no matter where we went or how fast we trolled. Don't get me wrong, lakers are fun and decent table fare, but if I had my choice I'd rather catch one of the other 4 trout.

The one thing I question, and I don't know if it has ever been proven, is the article I read that claimed Huron had more natural salmon reproduction than the other great lakes. I wonder if that is true??????

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts
I agree Spanky. You are on to something with the walleye deal. This year the ice fisherman are astounded at the numbers of walleyes they are seeing in the Saginaw Bay (via cameras). Of course, getting them to bite is another story....lol

My buddy Jack talked to a DNR officer this past weekend (not by choice...lol) and he claims the reason the Saginaw River has so many little walleyes is that the reproduction rate of those fish is really taking off. The number he threw out was 400% better than a normal walleye reproduction rate. If that is true, there are more walleyes out there than previously anticipated. Walleyes are eating machines and there have been some HUGE ones caught and seen on cameras this year.

I will have to commend the DNR too. They have been doing a great job keeping us in a fairly steady fishery. It must be a huge task.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.