Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s your go to setup for kings , I usually run all spoons but going to switch it up this spring, leadcore , dispy, Downriggers, maybe spoons on one side and flashers, flies on the other ?

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
Spoons on riggers and cu/core and spin doctors and flies on divers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When using 2 or any number of colors (1 color 30 feet sinks approx 5 feet depending on mph) . I'm having trouble wording this correctly do you troll lets say 3 color that's only 15 feet in depth do you let out running line past your rod tip and what length of leader. Reason I ask I troll for stripes using 832 suffix and let out as many colors to keep 1 oz jig from hitting tree tops which is usual 4-6 colors with 50 ft of fluorocarbon leader. I would like to try your set up.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
As many as you can afford & fit in your rod locker. I carry lead core in 2 color thru 10 color with a couple doubles.
John
I'm really taking interest in all your communication regarding "new age" trolling for salmon, especially using lead core. It's new age to me cuz I have never done anything like that. Sounds like too much work because I have evolved to lazy man fishing.
I have fished for salmon ever since they were planted. I have fished for them just about every way possible from big water trolling to fly fishing the rapids.
Today I will do pier fishing and St. Marys trolling.
Can't beat 12 ft. down 40-50 ft. back sitting back enjoying the surroundings.
Superior Coho trolling is 70ft down 40-50 ft. back.
I just can't imagine all the work associated with managing all the junk your towing.
Spring coho fishing can be a riot. Anchored and casting for them in them in the shallows of the St. Mary's narrows at the Superior to upper river opening. Casting jig heads with fin-es alewife or shiny bombers. Coho's are chasing smelt as they enter the river.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
John
I'm really taking interest in all your communication regarding "new age" trolling for salmon, especially using lead core. It's new age to me cuz I have never done anything like that. Sounds like too much work because I have evolved to lazy man fishing.
I have fished for salmon ever since they were planted. I have fished for them just about every way possible from big water trolling to fly fishing the rapids.
Today I will do pier fishing and St. Marys trolling.
Can't beat 12 ft. down 40-50 ft. back sitting back enjoying the surroundings.
Superior Coho trolling is 70ft down 40-50 ft. back.
I just can't imagine all the work associated with managing all the junk your towing.
Lol, agree, it’s a lot of junk to store. Thing is, I’m a nomadic fisherman, I fish just about every piece of water from St. Jo all the way around to Saginaw Bay, Drummond island to Lake Gogebic up to Ontanoggen harbor, so I like to be ready for anything. It all has its day for sure. I have a 7’ cuddy on my boat with a head, it’s like a giant rod/tackle box. You can’t have too much tackle, that’s like too much money.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lol, agree, it’s a lot of junk to store. Thing is, I’m a nomadic fisherman, I fish just about every piece of water from St. Jo all the way around to Saginaw Bay, Drummond island to Lake Gogebic up to Ontanoggen harbor, so I like to be ready for anything. It all has its day for sure. I have a 7’ cuddy on my boat with a head, it’s like a giant rod/tackle box. You can’t have too much tackle, that’s like too much money.
Look into torpedo divers.. (pump handles) you will be able to fish the top.60 ft with just some braid set ups. Or mono for that matter.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Look into torpedo divers.. (pump handles) you will be able to fish the top.60 ft with just some braid set ups. Or mono for that matter.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Lol, I’ve got slide divers, dipseys divers, copper, lead, downriggers, fixed mast boards & inline boards. I can’t imagine needing another type of diving device. Lol

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
What’s your go to setup for kings , I usually run all spoons but going to switch it up this spring, leadcore , dispy, Downriggers, maybe spoons on one side and flashers, flies on the other ?
Depending on the water temp, I like short lead cores (1-3 color) and planer boards with spoons and stick baits. Downriggers with mag spoons. Sometimes the flasher/fly combos will work. This year I'm going to try meat early, you never know...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I forgot to add, I start out with a variety of baits, once I start catching, I'll start to switching everything out to that. Also, be aware of the water temps, sometimes you'll find that magic pocket of warm water that is a degree or two warmer, and the fish will be concentrated around that.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I forgot to add, I start out with a variety of baits, once I start catching, I'll start to switching everything out to that. Also, be aware of the water temps, sometimes you'll find that magic pocket of warm water that is a degree or two warmer, and the fish will be concentrated around that.
Damn, you guys do WAY too much work trying to catch those sliver fish.
When my buddy and I fish the Sault I drive the boat, he sets the riggers and changes out the lures looking for the best combination. He is "happier than a cat covering s**t"". 3 lines down, watching eagles fly, enjoying the surroundings.
Hard core fishing in Canada is considered a blood sport. They share nothing and lie like hell. We hit it off because I'm not a threat, just a Yankee laughing at all his antics. Been fishing with him for at least 20 years.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Ok, you’ve convinced me, I’m throwing away all my gear but my Zebco 202 & I’m gonna make the 3 1/2 hour drive to the soo anytime I want to fish. This enjoying our Great Lakes shoreline views & maritime history really sucks. I’ll bring my little Cleo’s too!👌
I think your figuring out that I like the Sault area. 15 years ago, in my mind, the area provided the best fresh water fishery you could find anywhere. Salmon populations are mostly gone now but you can still catch just about every thing from Atlantics to Zander.
The Sault is the 2nd oldest city in the US. Canada has lots of history.
There is maritime history going back to the 1600's. The shoreline views along the Canadian Superior shore suburb. Granite cliff and sheer walls at the waters edge.
It's crazy how the topography is vastly different on the Canadian shore compared to the US side. Canada---granite, US----sandstone. The geology dramatically changes.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I loved it when the NWT had a tournament up there and the entire fleet drove to Roger City to catch walleye. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I loved it when the NWT had a tournament up there and the entire fleet drove to Roger City to catch walleye. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree I have never caught a walleye or bass there.....ever. I didn't target them but you would think you would catch one once in a while when we fish the clay banks and the lower river near Lake George. Walleye fishing there is overrated. Although I have seen some nice fish taken from Lake George.
Saginaw Bay, Lake Erie, Detroit are in a class by themselves.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think your figuring out that I like the Sault area. 15 years ago, in my mind, the area provided the best fresh water fishery you could find anywhere. Salmon populations are mostly gone now but you can still catch just about every thing from Atlantics to Zander.
The Sault is the 2nd oldest city in the US. Canada has lots of history.
There is maritime history going back to the 1600's. The shoreline views along the Canadian Superior shore suburb. Granite cliff and sheer walls at the waters edge.
It's crazy how the topography is vastly different on the Canadian shore compared to the US side. Canada---granite, US----sandstone. The geology dramatically changes.
I’ve fished up there plenty, used to hook to the power dam & bounce cleos for pinks & cast off the back of the boat for kings. Fished walleye a few times too, good stuff. We’ve been all over out thru superior All the way to the west side. My old man had a 39 footer, wed take off for weeks at a time, bumpin along the drop off all day throwing spinners at browns & coaster Brookies. No doubt, I love it up there.
But I like it around here better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts