Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Spring jigging

13142 Views 95 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  MedicMinnow
Is this program similar to Detroit river?
What size jigs do I need? How many, will I be getting snagged a lot?
What colors/combos?
Plastics? Live bait?
Sorry for all the questions, first time up there, thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Depending on which part of the river system you fish, the area is a TON less snaggy than the Detroit river. So you can expect to lose less lead than Detroit.

Sizes range from 1/4oz to 1/2 oz (for the most part) with 3/8oz and 1/2 oz being pretty common. In the deeper water channels, there are days when a 3/4oz would be nice but that is few and far between.

Colors are pretty much the same, Pinks, whites, chartreuse, Anti-freeze (candy Chartreuse), being some of the favorites. Key word "some".

Baits are similar with Fin-S getting some of the top spots, followed by Frank's off brand of similar minnow baits. Companies like Bondy and H2OHammer also make some baits that are taking hold. Colors again are similar with a few exceptions. Guys have success with certain color combos on saginaw that are not necessarily favorites in Detroit.

One thing to consider with plastics. Because of the smaller jig sizes, which in turn equates to smaller hooks, (think 4/0 with Detroit river and 3/0 and 2/0 in Saginaw), the baits tend to stick out longer on the jig. For that reason, many of us use a pair of scissors and trim down our baits. Cut the heads off them to make them shorter!
He pretty much covered it. All I did was take my 3/4 oz off and put on a 1/2 oz. Same Fin-S baits. Occasionally it seems to help tipping with a minnow, but doesn't seem to matter most of the time. Compared to the DR as far as snags and current...it's like fishing in a swimming pool (but with MUCH dirtier water;)
Depending on which part of the river system you fish, the area is a TON less snaggy than the Detroit river. So you can expect to lose less lead than Detroit.

Sizes range from 1/4oz to 1/2 oz (for the most part) with 3/8oz and 1/2 oz being pretty common. In the deeper water channels, there are days when a 3/4oz would be nice but that is few and far between.

Colors are pretty much the same, Pinks, whites, chartreuse, Anti-freeze (candy Chartreuse), being some of the favorites. Key word "some".

Baits are similar with Fin-S getting some of the top spots, followed by Frank's off brand of similar minnow baits. Companies like Bondy and H2OHammer also make some baits that are taking hold. Colors again are similar with a few exceptions. Guys have success with certain color combos on saginaw that are not necessarily favorites in Detroit.

One thing to consider with plastics. Because of the smaller jig sizes, which in turn equates to smaller hooks, (think 4/0 with Detroit river and 3/0 and 2/0 in Saginaw), the baits tend to stick out longer on the jig. For that reason, many of us use a pair of scissors and trim down our baits. Cut the heads off them to make them shorter!
Jig raps and spoons work good also.
I would also recommend running your baits with a stinger hook!!
The same ones for ice fishing, or different colors, sizes?

Jig raps and spoons work good also.
Reactions: BigGreen
can even go to 1oz jigs if current gets real bad. Never know how she’s gonna do each spring. We been getting lots of rain. Yup stinger is almost a must. U guys pretty much covered it. Can’t wait to get on her for a week.
Walleye assassins plastics can be very good also. As a general rule I seem to get bigger fish on the brighter colors. My 2 best big fish colors are cant elope and fire tiger....8 lb braid tied direct. Some days tipped with a minnow.
What’s up Fysch! Guessing ur waiting for the river too since bay got opioniated ice
Lol...I will be waiting a few days before I hit the river...late next week at the earliest. I will be looking around in the bay shallows for perch all weekend for sure...
The same.
The same ones for ice fishing, or different colors, sizes?

Cleaned up on the Detroit and Saginaw rivers with H2o hammer last year. No minnows.
What colors/style?
Cleaned up on the Detroit and Saginaw rivers with H2o hammer last year. No minnows.
Been a pretty darn good combo the last couple of season on the river.
Insect Blue Body jewelry Arthropod Violet
What size jigheads eyepod? 3/8? Seen those on his website the other day and thought about picking some up
Yes 3/8 oz. Pretty much my day in, day out go to size on the Saginaw.. https://www.fishsnipertackle.com/collections/jigs
What size jigheads eyepod? 3/8? Seen those on his website the other day and thought about picking some up
I seen them on his site the other day. I like the glitter bottom and solid top ones as well. Do you know what size hook.

Words out, they will go fast now haha. Place your orders boys lol
Yes 3/8 oz. Pretty much my day in, day out go to size on the Saginaw.. https://www.fishsnipertackle.com/collections/jigs
3/0
I seen them on his site the other day. I like the glitter bottom and solid top ones as well. Do you know what size hook.

Words out, they will go fast now haha. Place your orders boys lol
Reactions: BigGreen and Rscook
Got a fresh supply of 3/8-1/2 oz. awhile back. Thanks fishersniper tackle...
Christmas ornament Holiday ornament Rectangle Ornament Evergreen
Plant Pink Material property Font Glass
1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.