Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first spring in MI fishing. I am looking for info on spring crappies. I will fish a neighborhood lake and various other lakes in N Oakland County and I am looking for techniques. I have always fished "Stick ups" associated with brush with jigs and minnows. I have never waded and fished the banks. Anyone out there put on waders and get in the water chasing crappie? When do the crappie move shallow (April, May, etc) I assume it's still too cold for them to move up.

When do the walleye move shallow enough to catch them from shore. I know they're out of season for another month or so but is it too late once the season reopens to catch them from shore.

Any clues as to lakes to chase Crappie or Walleye from the shore that are located within an hour from Waterford would be a huge help! (not asking for specific honey holes of course).

Thanks
hodgesc-DVM
[email protected]

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't know about specific honey holes, but I think you're stick ups are good for them. Never put on waders to go for them but it couldn't hurt to try I suppose. Crappie should be moving shallow pretty soon, probably are out right now depending where your at.

·
Premium Member
30,305 Posts
Hodgesc.....Not sure on spring crappie, would like to find some myself. I know in early May, sanford lake just north of Midland is a good place. As for the walleye, their not out of season in great lakes, and if you get some waders and head north along shoreline of saginaw bay you can do well on post spawner after dark with big rapala's and husky jerks from now until after the operner. And when it warms a bit more, could find some smelt too;) :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
I would like to do some fishing in Saginaw Bay, little bit of a cruise for me since I'm on the OH-MI border. I think it would be grand to do a meet there, but I suppose I'll save that for another thread.

·
Premium Member
30,305 Posts
Re-read your post, and noticed your looking closer to your area. Oops.For both species your asking about, and within an hour of where your at, I would concentrate on holloway Res. I'm origianlly form Flint/Burton area, and use to fish there often. There is alot of both in there, if you can find them. Try some others on site for info, sure they could help you more, but it is a large resevoir and full of cover. Right up M-15 from you to either stanley rd. that takes you to the dam or up to Mt. Morris and go east to fish the upper lake. Area called the tubes is good at times.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
if you really want to know everything about Crappie go to the bookstore or amazon and order "Crappie Secrets" from the In-Fisherman Library

that book pretty much sums it up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts