Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last August I planted rye in my food plot. I want to plant Buckwheat this spring. How long should I wait to turn under the rye and plant. I did add lime last year due to low ph. I know it will take time to build up the soil. My goal is to have a all around wildlife foodplot. Any suguestions are welcome.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
You can plant right after tilling under the rye if you want. I usually work the rye in, wait 10 days to two weeks, work it lightly and then plant. But don't get in a hurry to plant that buckwheat just yet. It will not tolerate a frost. In your area I'd probably wait until Memorial weekend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the your insight. I will plow the rye under in the near future and then plant at the end of the month. wexman

·
Registered
127 Posts
let that rye grow a while longer. plow it under and plant well after the last frost. It does like the hot days.

·
Registered
36,710 Posts
Buckwheat......wet or dry plant by the 4th of July.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I just did the same thing and tilled my rye under this past weekend and planted BW. If I loose it to the frost, its only $5.00 in seed gone.

CB

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
DTrain said:
$5.00? :confused: You must not be planting much. Cost me $27 for a 50lb bag of BW seed.

1/2 acre plot (25lbs) and my brother-in-law works for Gaylord Feed & Grain :lol:

CB

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
codybear said:
I just did the same thing and tilled my rye under this past weekend and planted BW. If I loose it to the frost, its only $5.00 in seed gone.

CB
Same here. I tilled,limed,fertilized, and planted this weekend. With this rain coming in Tuesday/Wednesday, it'll hopefully take off within a week or 2.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I planted last week before the rains. Borrowed my buddies tractor with 4 foot roto hoe to work up ground. I have planted buckwheat before and it gets hammered by the deer during summer and then can be tilled in to help soil. I then plant a hunting plot around Aug. 1st -10th brassicicas, then I overseed with winter wheat a month later. this has worked well. As for the price, I paid $19.99 for a 25Lb. bag at Cohoon's Elevator in Midland. After a couple of years of buckwheat and good liming, my other plantings have done much better than before!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I till mine under, then If I'm goping to spray I wait a little bit for any weeds to emerge. Then spray. Then wait a week to 10 days before planting my Fall Plot. So it does require some planning to get the timing right. Depending on the plot, I have some where weeds are not a big problem and have tilled the buckwheat under and planted the next day, without spraying. So it really depends on your weed situation.

BOH

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've never planted buckwheat before. Is it a highly preferred deer food in southern Michigan? How long do the deer feed on it, till it goes to seed? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Mine never makes it more than a couple of inches high. The deer keep it nicely trimmed. It'll last until the first frost. That's why it's used mainly in the spring/summer as a soil builder.

·
Administrator
36,082 Posts
Great! My buckwheat must have just gotten wiped out by the freeze we had up north Saturday night. Oh well at least I have rye planted as well.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Steve said:
Great! My buckwheat must have just gotten wiped out by the freeze we had up north Saturday night. Oh well at least I have rye planted as well.
I think mine is gonna drown with all this rain falling right now. They're saying it's raining 2"/hour! :sad:

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Steve, that's why I wait until early June for my buckwheat mix. Just too many chances for a freeze prior to Memorial Day.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Not sure if mine got hammered. We were hovering at 32° with patchy frost.

CB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts