Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
35,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this little setup:

at the going out of business sale at Lakeside (West). Anyway with the closed face reel, I thought it would be the perfect little rod for my youngest who has really taken in interest in ice fishing.

The only thing I don't like about it is the action is a bit too stiff which could be solved with the right spring bobber. Does anyone make a spring bobber that would fit this:??

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I found one at Meijers that is the most sensitive spring bobber that I have ever used. It is an actual spring. It looks like a spring out of a ballpoint pen and the tip is painted orange. To make it a little more sensitive I grabbed the ends of the spring and stretched it out just a little. The problem that I had with it was that the shrinkwrap boot that comes with the bobber, to hold it to the rod, is too small to fit over the eye on the tip, like yours. What I did was put the spring through the eye with just enough of the spring next to the rod to hold it with a piece of electrical tape. This has held up well for me. If you are not in a shanty the spring tends to freeze up after reeling up a fish or two. I just put it in my mouth and blow the ice out of it. I think it's a fair trade off for the sensitivity......Patch

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The only thing I don't like about it is the action is a bit too stiff which could be solved with the right spring bobber. Does anyone make a spring bobber that would fit this:??
Steve, have you tried fishing a bobber/bobber-stop combo on the ice? Sixshooter and I killed the gills on Hamlin last month with that technique - you can detect the slightest motion. I used to use sneaky bobbers and spring bobbers glued to rod tips, and they work good, but I much prefer a bobber setup, which can also be jigged. Be aware that you must blow out the bobber on occasion if it's cold, because the line tends to freeze in the bobber hole.

That rod looks like a good length for a shanty, nice and short.

Ken

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
i have been using a wasp slip-bobber and pegging it with a toothpick....works just fine for panfish and perch.

is that the lakeside storein farmington? how long has the sale been going on?

good luck....thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Whoa there a minute. Going out of business?!?!? Say it ain't so. Now where do I get bait and the stuff Dicks doesn't carry? Son of a .... This is a tough post to write w/o swearing. *&^%$#[email protected][email protected]! This is a sad day.

Well, I guess I'll have to join the rest of the vultures at the death site and make the best of it.

Gosh dang it

Steve

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Steve, The other Lakeside has spring bobbers that you can snap on the rod. I picked up a plain rod like that earlier and used the snap-on spring bobber and it works well. I'll be there today, if you want I can pick one up for ya.

·
Premium Member
29,971 Posts
One thing I found that works well, I first did at Tawas for whitefish due to their light bite. I liked fishing with no bobber at night but at daylight, liked to switch to one. Only hated to have to re-rig with the line thru slip bobber types........What I did was put a bobber stop on the line, then 2 small beads, then my hook or jig. I took a thill bobber with the hole through plastic and put on the smallest snap I could find. Then I snapped it between the beads on the line, and it would slide up and down between them. If I want to go with no bobber, it was just a snap;) Just leave beads on line as attracters, and if you don't want them near your hook, put on a tiny split shot:D Works for me for all slip bobber types of fishing.

·
Super Moderator
37,764 Posts
Steve, I have a spring bobber sitting right here on my desk at work that will do just fine on that rod. Swing by and pick it up, you know where I am. :)
I use that same Zebco underspin on one of my panfish rods. It works well, but the line has to be pulled taught before the pick up pin will catch the line to start winding it.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Get a fly tying bobbin and some thread and just attach the spring bobber with that, then put a coat of nail polish over it . Then bend the wire "up" and "out" so its not sticking straight out. Ya gotta get a GOOD thin wire, spring bobber, though.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ditto what William Bonney said except I head cement the heck out of it instead of using nail polish. If you're not into fly tying then just use sewing thread and either the nail polish or super glue works well too.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I've seen some spring bobbers that have little pieces of shrink wrap to put them on with. Most any ACO or hardware will have it.

I like the idea about the thread/bobbin and cement though! You could "stick" it on the pole with super glue/head cement then wrap and finish with the thread/cement! Sound pretty bullet proof too!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've tried the snap on ones but they just don't stay on, and I've always had a problem getting the heat shrink tubing over the guides on my pole. Once I started wrapping them on I've never had one come off or even move on me. A word of caution though, once they're on there they don't come off so make sure you get it in the right place the first time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I remove the rod tips and replace them with flyrod tiptops. The springs lay flst on the pole, you can use shrinkwrap if you choose, and if they freeze up you just smack them against your bucket and the ice is cleared.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Does anyone have lakesides phone number? Did you see any fishtrap 2 there Steve?

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Originally posted by Lunker
Does anyone have lakesides phone number? Did you see any fishtrap 2 there Steve?
248-473-2030

·
Registered
822 Posts
I dont like all that stuff on the end of my rod and if the spring bobber breaks you are stuck with a bit of a mess. Get the spring bobber and take the cheap plastic snap part off, a thin piece of DUCT TAPE works great. If you need the spring bobber, it is there to use or, if your jigging wallys, just dont thread through the spring part. BTW I put mine on the very end of the pole and makle the spring bobber the last eye to thread through. Very sensative. Any of these ideas will work.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I dont like all that stuff on the end of my rod and if the spring bobber breaks you are stuck with a bit of a mess.
That's exactly why I use nail polish over the sewing thread,, it WILL come off, if you want it to, alot easier than the "cement".

I tried 'em ALL,(spring bobbers). This is without a doubt the best way to do it. You can check them out at www.stopperlures.com. These spring bobbers will do the trick, just throw away that "shrink wrap" thing and use sewing thread. You can make it as sensitive as you want by leaving whatever amount of wire exposed. Just put it on "straight and then bend it "up" and to the "left". You'll NEVER miss light biting fish. I actually have 1 of my poles set up, so sensitive that a spike will move the bobber. Make sure you have the wire extend, "past" the rod tip.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
some great suggestions so far. Here is another way to attach the spring. I simply wrapped enough electrical tape around the spring until it fit snugly into the tip guide on the rod. The bend in the spring in the picture is just from the weight of two tear drops, so you can see the spring is very sensitive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts