Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at some Thuja Green Giants for screening. I have searched posts about it but they all seem to be numerous years old. The old timers that planted this did it grow like expected (2'-3') per year and provide a good screen. I have property in the thumb area and have planted norway's, white spruce, white pine and miscanthus giant. Looking at something a little different and fast but just don't want to waste money if useless.

Many county districts have there spring order forms online now.

Old timers I am not referring to age, but length of time you have been doing habitat work.
Thanks for any info from a newbie, but oldie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve for post was not sure with no responses if I did it right seeing I am a newbie to this.

Trying to find out if they do grow 2'-3' as companies state, before I invest money into something that is completely false.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thujas for me have not been that great. My first crack resulted in deer pulling them out aft snowmelt of first year. 2nd planting is doing ok...this is yr 4 i think and some put on 2ft or so. Thin though. And many have grown 2ft total for 4yrs. Didnt lose any to that brutal cold last winter tho some burnt. Ill try to get some pics. I think aghunter has some...?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I planted about a hundred in a shady/sunny area. I recall all 100 showed up in a small box. I was skeptical but threw them in the ground about 4 to 5 years ago. When they got to about 2 to 3 feet the deer hit them pretty good. I didn't lose any but it knocked them back pretty good. Full sun is certainly preferred and they will grow 3 feet per year in full sun. I will try to post some pics. Full sun ones are 15 feet tall. Partial sun about 10 feet tall and basically the shaded trees are 5 feet tall. Deer don't touch them now.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A house a few mile away put in a row of green giants about the same time I did. I have been watching the growth rates over the last few years.

I believe i put mine in in 2010. They were bare root about 3 inches long so they were very small. The picture with the larger trees are a single row, planted in full sun and I am sure gets hit with a sprinkler system all summer. Probably the best growing conditions possible.

Mine on the on the other hand are planted on a wooded lot. They might get 2 hours of direct sunlight a day and have still managed to put on decent growth.

I would say it would be best to try to keep deer off them until they get to be about 4 feet tall. Deer don't eat these like they do an arborvitae. Last winter I have several 6 foot arborvitae eaten down to nothing and they never even touched these.

I plan to put in another hundred this year in some wetter areas. Not sure how this will go as the other spots have been high and dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks roosterbane and rz6x59 for the pictures and info. I am now thinking of putting some in the garden first and then transplanting in a year or two.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Rooster, your trees are just about the size where they start to fill out and will blow up very quickly. Looks like they run North and South so they should get good sun.

2 years from now you may be trimming them back to keep the trail clear.

I plan on starting my next set in the garden too. The bare roots took a season to get going.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I bought 100 thuja's last spring to plant on a berm, didn't get them planted so I up potted in 4" pots and have them in my basement for the winter. They came as plugs about 8" tall and are now about 2'. I'll fence the trail side and leave the trench side open for a few yrs and water every weekend when needed. I'll probaly plant a few ( groups of 3 ) for ladder stands where I don't have any trees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts