Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you spray 2-4-D on a new switchgrass planting? It's says kills broadleaf and woody growth, not grasses. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

·
Registered
823 Posts
woodencanoe said:
Can you spray 2-4-D on a new switchgrass planting? It's says kills broadleaf and woody growth, not grasses. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
You can spray 2-4d on switchgrass after the 5 leaf stage but be careful not to use too much. Especially just prior to a rainfall, which can set back or harm the SG. Remember, 2-4d does have some residual effect when it gets into the soil.

In my own experiences, nothing beats atrazine for weed control in switchgrass, for your consideration.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Riverrat,,
I just sprayed 8 acres switch grass last week. I put on 11 quarts to 8 acres with no additives. What rate do you spray?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Tibbs said:
Riverrat,,
I just sprayed 8 acres switch grass last week. I put on 11 quarts to 8 acres with no additives. What rate do you spray?

I am assuming you are refering to atrazine, in which we applied 2 lbs. per acre in relatively light soil. BTW, the atrazine was applied professionally to insure uniform coverage which is very important using a restricted use (residual) chemical like atrazine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Riverrat. Maybe I'll just mow it high a couple times these year. I'll go with the weed killer next year just to be safe. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
RIVERAT said:
In my own experiences, nothing beats atrazine for weed control in switchgrass, for your consideration.
This has been the general consensus of the reading I've done of late... Lots of good information on SG if you run a search.

·
Registered
823 Posts
woodencanoe said:
Thanks for the info Riverrat. Maybe I'll just mow it high a couple times these year. I'll go with the weed killer next year just to be safe. Thanks again.

WC,

I hope I didn't confuse you. I sprayed the atrazine on my SG seeding just 2 weeks before the seed sprouted and by fall I had 4 foot high SG. 2-4D is the chemical that you have to be careful with. If you properly apply the atrazine, you shouldn't have to do any mowing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My switchgrass has already sprouted, I just planted it this spring. It looks to be taking off pretty good, just alot of ragweed with it. I guess I'll just mow it high acouple times this year. Does that sound right Bish or Riverat, or anyone in the know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
woodencanoe said:
My switchgrass has already sprouted, I just planted it this spring. It looks to be taking off pretty good, just alot of ragweed with it. I guess I'll just mow it high acouple times this year. Does that sound right Bish or Riverat, or anyone in the know.
If you spray with Atrazine it is better than mowing and with the price of fuel and the time it takes it is most likely cheaper than the mowing. It will get rid of the competition from the other grasses and it gives the switchgrass a real boost. Until it gets big enough to handle the competition on its own. If you want to hear from a real expert talk to John Osenbaugh from Osenbaugh seed in Iowa. The EQIP program from soil conservation is paying to plant switchgrass.
Cary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts