Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got chased off the 3rd lake I was fishing by a private company with an airboat, spraying black goo into the water. They were hired by the lake associations to do this but I'd like to know why they don't, at least, put it in the paper about where they are spraying, or leave a notice of a upcoming spraying, like the DNR used to do !
I wanted to call the company and ask that question but both their trucks were unmarked. And I went back today to see what was on the warning signs they usually post after spraying and they didn't even post them.
Thats just dandy ! A bunch of guys can come into a lake, spray chemicals into the water then not leave any warnings of what they did !

·
Registered
574 Posts
Any idea what the black goo was? Guessing something to fight the invasive strain of milfoil that is choking out so many small lakes this year?

I agree, there ought to be an advanced posting/communication requirement before they spray or drop chemicals....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
Every time the private co. sprays our lake, they post signs at all accesses. I noticed the last time that one of the guys had posted signs in front of most of the cottages on the lake.

They have to do there job when conditions are right so posting a planed date in the paper would be difficult.

I agree they should have posted at least at the acesses that they had sprayed. If our lake was not sprayed you would not be able to run a boat at all due to the weeds.

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not disagreeing with their spraying but sick of my fishing trips being changed. There were 6 other boats exiting the lake with me that morning. I just wish I knew the company's name. Absolutely no ID on trucks or their boats !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why are you making such a big deal out of it? I fish to relax. Maybe you need to do more time on the lake for an attitude repair.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
They sprayed Fremont today as well. Nice to do it when its 90 one day before the weekend. :rolleyes:
They are required by law to post signs.
I wanted to go for a boat ride and a swim but decided against it. I would also recommend a three day moratorium on taking any fish from Fremont.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
It is ironic that they can spray chemicals on public lakes with no real warning, while at work I need to post a multi page document for employees to understand any health concerns for a bottle of motor oil in the building.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Rodz, I was trying to relax until they arrived and started spraying. And as far as naming the lakes, they were all in Montcalm County. Lake Montcalm, Clifford Lake and the other day was Dickerson Lake.
The other day on Dickerson Lake, I asked one of the spraying company's employees why they didn't give us a warning and he said they had informed all the lake's cottage owners and it was my fault for not knowing about it ! I told him that he was missing an area to notify. The Public Landing !

·
Registered
129 Posts
My local lake was sprayed a few weeks ago. There were signs everywhere, even on everyones private docks. The lake is fishable again. I would be happy to get off the water and get the weeds reduced. :D

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
I have never worried about fishing while the guys are spraying out lake. I take there word that there is no danger to be fishing. There signs give a time period to not be swimming.

Must be a different company that is spraying the other lakes in Moncalm as the one that does ours has marked trucks and posts plenty of signs including the launch and parks.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Lakes treatment is done thru a lake association, improvement board or thru the township board. You can go online Google the name of the lake and find the lake association or improvement board and they post whats being treated. But days the treatment takes place depends on weed growth so they only give what month treatment maybe. The goo you seen is probably dye they use so the person spraying can tell were they have already sprayed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts