Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When can I apply the dormant spray? What do I spray? Where is a good place to buy it?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
I have some 'seedlings' - 3 year transplants - is there anything I need to do to them? Besides keep the deer off of them ;-)

ferg....

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
In the past, I've purchased dormant oil spray at Franks Nursery or one of the home centers like Home Depot or Lowes. I use a backpack sprayer and now is a good time to spray them. I saturate all parts of the tree(trunk and branches). It's also a good time to prune your fruit trees. Remove any vertical shoots and open up the trees by removing some of the interior branches so sunlight gets in. The fruit grows on the branches that grow on an angle or horizontally, not on the vertical growing branches. You can also fertilize the trees with granular fertilizer or fruit tree spikes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I read about a homemade dormant oil spray online a month ago, I cant remember exactly what the mixture was but you could do a search and probably find it.

I read the best time to do the spray is prior to budding. You will want to follow up with a regular spray just prior to flowering.

good luck

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Dormant spray is a highly refined oil that smothers insects such as mites that overwinter on the trees. In addition, any good nursery, garden center or hardware store will carry a general purpose orchard spray. This will contain an insecticide and a fungicide. It should be applied according to the label directions throughout the season. The label will tell you how long before anticipated harvest to stop spraying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts