Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend, I was extremely frustrated with my beeper collars. The dumb things only beeped on maybe 50% of the points. When they did beep, there was a 3-5 second lag time between the dog freezing and the first beep. As skittish as the birds were, that first beep often coincided with the flush. I changed the batteries but that did not help. These are Sportdog DSL-400 collars. I have already sent 4 of these back to Sportdog for similar issues.

Does anyone use these? Any positive experience? Any similar experiences?

I know I'm opening the floodgates here, but can you recommend something dependable to replace them with? Keep in mind I'm broke... If anyone is looking to upgrade, I may be interested in buying used. I run the dogs with bells and a beeper on point mode only.

KW

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Take a look at Lovett's collars. That's what I'll be buying soon.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I would second the Lovett's I use TT with a bell and I have the same issues with mine Thats why I went with the astro. Good luck

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
As skittish as the birds were, that first beep often coincided with the flush. I changed the batteries but that did not help.
This is the reason I don't believe in "point only" mode. Dog stops, bird freezes and then a truck starts backing up.... I'd be getting out of there, too.

These are Sportdog DSL-400 collars. I have already sent 4 of these back to Sportdog for similar issues.
I think you have your answer right there. Four times and you didn't pick up something else?

Tri-Tronics and Lovetts 'til I die.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I got a Garmin Astro 220 with the DC30 collar and used it this past weekend. Worked great.

The pointing alarm was loud enough to hear in my pocket, but quiet enough to not scare the birds. The only downside is that it does take a bit to register a "point" because the collar only communicates to the GPS every five seconds. It was kind of pricey, but I would recommend it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
This past weekend, I was extremely frustrated with my beeper collars. The dumb things only beeped on maybe 50% of the points. When they did beep, there was a 3-5 second lag time between the dog freezing and the first beep. As skittish as the birds were, that first beep often coincided with the flush. I changed the batteries but that did not help. These are Sportdog DSL-400 collars. I have already sent 4 of these back to Sportdog for similar issues.

Does anyone use these? Any positive experience? Any similar experiences?

I know I'm opening the floodgates here, but can you recommend something dependable to replace them with? Keep in mind I'm broke... If anyone is looking to upgrade, I may be interested in buying used. I run the dogs with bells and a beeper on point mode only.

KW

All beeper collars have a delay on them so 5 seconds is about normal. If you didn't have the delay you would be getting constant false point signals. As for it not going into point mode that's probably the motion switch. Shake it hard once and see if you hear a rattling sound. Otherwise you will have to send them back again!!

BC

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does anyone use these? Any positive experience?

KW

Yes. No!

My first one literally broke the first time I used it hunting. The board that the battery contacts is glued in the bottom of the housing and it came loose and was floating around. They replaced it. Promptly after receiving the new one, I was running my dog with the beeper turned off and the cap that holds the battery fell off. For those not familiar with this beeper, the battery cap is also the on/off feature. You rotate it tigher to turn on, back off for off, purely a friction relationship (very poor design). They sent me a new cap, but I had to replace the brand new $10 battery on my own. The cap on the selector side has also fallen off on it's own a couple of times. They sent me spares. This all happened the first year of ownership. If anything happens now, I'm out of warranty.

This beeper also has terrible sensitivity. If you dog is running smoothly on flat ground, or moving slowly, it can indicate a point. Very annoying.

I won't even list the issues I've had with the SD1800. Needless to say, they won't be replaced by Sport Dog products.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My first one literally broke the first time I used it hunting. .
Mine too. I forgot to add from my post above. I had the battery terminal issue as well as the plastic part that holds the unit to the collar snap off...within 2 weeks of purchase. Took it back and bought a Lovetts.

Simply a poorly and cheaply designed product.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I also bought a sportdog collar. It failed half way through last season. I will not buy one again. I don't have a beeper, since my flushers won't stay still:).

However, I had problems keeping a charge and the tone sound went from strong to so weak I had to hold it to my ear to hear it.

I hope to be buying a TT very soon.

Paul

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I'd consider calling the Collar Clinic to see if you can get a deal on a good used Tritronics or Dogtra.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts