Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing mixed opinions on what size spoons to run. We'll obviously run different sizes, but for the most part do you guys usually start out with smaller spoons? I appreciate all your input, as I'm preparing for my first trip to Erieau Fri-Sun.

Cheers,
Rick

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
When I leave the dock looking for steel, I usually have Stinger Reg size spoons on. But you have to run what they want. This weekend was all mags on all but a few. Not really sure why, not 1 steelie had a baitfish in it. They were eating the moths that blew in. Stomachs were full of them. And the kings had either small alewives or nothing at all in them.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
I’ve never run the small spoons in Erieau but I hear guys say they do well on them at times. Standard size and mags are all we normally run. If the fish are there and feeding, you will probably get them no matter what size you are running but mix it up a bit and see what they like best. Good luck next weekend! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
on the ohio side of erie we run the small spoons with great results. only problem is that the hooks will tend to break easier so i put a larger one on them. doesn't seem to hurt the action and corrects the problem. i run a lot of regular sized spoons as well. my favorite "go to" spoons are pink/black with pink ladder back pro king, solid pink with silver ladderback pro king, double orange crush (of course) dreamweaver or stinger, and blue or green dolphine. i have found that orange and gold J-11's work well too when the fish are up high. when the junk fish are bad i will put out a couple fish catchers or dodgers as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts