Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you store your spoons?

I want to change. Currently, I have over 400 spoons in one plano box.

Between the seasons of 2000 2001, we misplaces or someone stole a box containing all of our body baits (well over 100 baits).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just picked up one of the special mate boxes, which is similar to the one you currently have. So far its the best solution I have found. Maybe just pick up another plano?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Here Is Another Vote For The SpecialMate Boxes.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
There is about 2 thousand spoons on my boat at any giving time. My system is to use the special mate boxes for bulk storage. Then I have Hook-um up pads that attach to the stern of the boat for my current hot selection. Each large pad holds about 50 baits that are doubled up. This seems to work really good especially if you have a storage problem.
Two notes on the pads. First, the foam held the spoons really good. I dont recall them ever pulling out. Two, there is a heavy plastic cover to avoid that irratating "clang" of loose spoons. The other nice part is that pads attach to the boat with a heavy duty velcro stri[ No drilling holes for snaps.

www.hook-um.com

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I blew up the picture, looking for top secret new colors. Those spoons all look new. Where's the ones with the teeth marks?

We use the special mates. Bought one and won the Fishlander box last year at FF. The price is the same whereever, so I bought mine from Joel.

I used to use that same box you have. But every time you drop a spoon, then try to fish it out, you end up with 3 sticking on your sleeve. And they bang around quite a bit chipping the paint. The best thing I did was to leave a bunch of unused/seldom used spoons in it and give it as a care package to a buddy with a new boat.

Tried the Plano boxes, but they're a pain.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My Fiancee's parent's have molding company that use to mold the dividers for the Special Mates. They haven't molded any in a few years. I forwarded him some of these posts and he called the owner of the company that makes the Special Mates to see what's up. They are concidering discontinueing the Special Mates. He told me if I could get together a bunch of people who want them that he (future father in law) might be able to get a price break on large quantity order.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Interesting, yeah I myself have hundreds of spoons, but after fishing with hootchies/dodger fly combos, the writing is on the wall, spoons are becoming a thing of the past. I put my spoons in batches of 6 Shimano boxes and Shimano carrying cases. About the only application I use spoons for is stacks and like double orange crush spoons for divers, otherwise I really have no use for them anymore. My how things change, after 30 years of collecting spoons, I bought my last one. Go hootchies, they are better fish producers!!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I don't know about that mantic.... Don't be too hasty.

There are MANY days when the only thing that's produced a single hit for me has been spoons. I can be running two green spoons off the riggers and 2 green flies off of spindoctors or fishcatchers at the same depths, and not get a single look on the flies but many fish on the spoons. Different days, different presentations.

Fishinfox and I boated 4 fish on greasy chicken spoons late this fall, we must have run 15 different flies and stickbaits without a single hit, but 4 fish came on the greasy chicken.

Besides, I'll always run spoons. Fighting a fish on a spoon is a ton more fun than fighting one dragging a ton of hardware along with it. The fun factor of a 20 pound king on a spoon is much better than when it's out on the end of a big dipsey and a fishcatcher or it's dragging an inline planer board.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I also now use the 6 container shimano boxes to store my flies and squids. I loop the leader line in a circle and secure it and then place it in the boxes. I put my dodgers and hootchies in ziplock bags and place them in the storage pockets of the bag. I also include all terminal tackle necessary inside the bag. That way my bag is a doder/fly complete system and I can grab it and fish anywhere at once. It's the way to go.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mike,

We use the Special Mates as well (5 of them full of lures). We also have 2 of the lure pocket bags that you can get at Lakeside Fishing Shop mounted to the transom. One is for the morning fish (cloudy day) presentation and the other is for the late morning/ afternoon (sunny day) presentation. These are out secret lures and you will never see them :D They are always rolled up and put away prior to returning to port:p :D ;)

Jeff- BMT

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Give another vote for Special Mates.Also use them for my stick baits.For your flys try a portable CD case with the plastic windows that flip through like an album.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts