Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spooked peacock hooks up with turkey gang

In Michigan, it is not legal to shoot peacocks found in the wild, said Lt. Dan Hopkins, conservation officer with the state Department of Natural Resources.

"It's not a game bird and it's private property, so a person who shoots a peacock would be subject to civil liabilities," Hopkins said.

http://www.record-eagle.com/local/local_story_275094817.html

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Reading, and believing, bunk like this is what keeps the general public so completely in the dark about our wildlife laws and hunters. This story is so full of holes, it's pathetic, and I let the reporter know it. I know Sherry McWhirter, the poor girl means well, but needs to follow up on her info before she prints it.

First of all, there is no fall turkey hunting season in Grand Traverse County.

Second of all, I'm sure that the only gun out to get this peacock will be the owner's neighbors who are sick of listening to the unearthly shrieks creatures like this make at all hours of the day.

If it was alone, nature, and the coyotes and foxes, would quickly run its course. Unfortunately, as it is running with turkeys, (which isn't all that uncommon, I've seen it several times, I've also seen released pheasants running with flocks of wild turkeys), it will probably be a lot safer than it would be on its own.

I told the owner about the restrictions on feeding this year and she said she'd been feeding those birds right out her back door for years, and doesn't have any problems with deer congregating in the yard....good.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
a peacock should up at my buddies house a few years back and stayed for about 4 years then just disappeared one day... it was a male and during the mating season it was the most annoying thing in the world!!!

i was pretty sure coyotes got it but never found any sign of a kill... this thing would sleep up in the very tip top of the maple tree too.... needless to say it was still pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
One of my best friends and I went out one morning this past Spring for his intro to turkey hunting. I went along to call for him, and to help him out. As we were standing there in the darkness waiting for some sound off's and discussing locator calls a peacock sounded off at the farm on the next property over. That thing set off about 4 different Gobblers! :lol:

Needless to say, it gave a better lesson on locator calls then I did! It was pretty entertaining! Made me feel better about the peacock call I had on one of the many pockets as well! ;)

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
In case you haven't noticed, peacocks are domestic fowl. Wild turkeys are not.

For a few years there was a very popular locator marketed for some exorbitant price like $20 that imitated a peacock. It didn't do a thing in most areas except scare all the wildlife. Those birds you had were used to hearing that peacock sound off, so they replied. After all, it's polite.

LOL

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Really? Wow. Thanks there Captain Obvious on the domestic fowl info. :rolleyes:

As for the peacock call, we must have some running around down here. Worked pretty well 3 times this past Spring here in Lenawee County. Maybe they're running with the cougars and the black panthers, or our turkeys round these here parts are all just very polite. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the shock part of the shock gobble. Same thing with the thunder the one day, or that siren from the ambulance as it went by. Maybe they were wishing the patient in that rig good luck. That would not only be polite, but extremely thoughtful as well. With turkeys that thoughtful, and polite I believe it would be a horrid shame for them to have Mother Nature dictate their lives this upcoming winter. I should start determining how I can overstep my bounds in the scheme of nature and help them out.

I'll think on that in the treestand in the coming weeks. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
So Mother Nature running it's natural course to take out the unfortunate peacock is okay, but the same rules don't apply to other wild animals? :16suspect
Apparently!:yikes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts