Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Divers Down I was down there this afternoon too. There was about a half dozen boats out. I watched some Boats coming in I was a little worried and I was talking to a father and son that I have talked to there over the years. They got a couple said there were a ton of birds flying but couldn’t get them to swing in. Then the DNR showed up checking licenses. I wasn’t sure what time shooting ended but seemed like I heard some late shooting :rolleyes:. Time for me to start thinking about crow season!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Nothing like the first day at downriver. what a difference a day makes. all the ducks just disappeared. hunted the same spot as yesterday and encounter another group that stayed there overnight. They thought since they were there all night, they own the whole place and did not like us setup way away from them. shot a decoying drake, missed a swimmer, and were not ready for two passing mallards. Ducks were high and skittish. Saw lots of migrating ducks with V formation flying south. Wonder what happened to yesterday ducks with all marsh frozen. So sad the season ended and going through withdrawal already. Hopefully, there is a season date change next year with warmer temperature we are having in November. We need more days in December and early January. Stay safe and have a great new year.
I can assure there will be not be anymore days in December next year.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
what over pass bridge did you hunt? :D They must be delicious. how do you clean and cook them? do they taste like Cornish hen at Kroger?

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Buddy shoots every one that comes in while duck hunting. Prefers them to mallards.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well here's my season wrap up.....hunted a total of 4 times the entire season, hard to get out with two little ones and the career. First two trips resulted in no shots for me and only 2 birds between a party of 4 both times. I took last season off (first time since I started in 2008) to focus more on fall fishing, so I was really excited to start back up this season.

3rd trip was a flat wind day for the big lake, as I purchased a 23' walk around two years ago, I relied on a friend and his wife who own a tiller 17' mod-v. There first time sea duck hunting. We stroll out and set my decoys, ran 3 long lines, dozen birds on each, 2 robos and anchor off, about 15 yards away. Finished that day with a 3 person limit, 4 of which where white wings, one of which was my first drake (however he was immature). Still hunting down my stud white wing.

Now the late split.....didn't really have plans as I was on call and busy with the family. Ended up getting a call Saturday from a buddy that found birds close to home. My wife and I, his wife and him all meet at the launch Sunday morning, nobody's there. We break 40' of ice and set up 2 longlines, 3 dozen diver singles, 2 dozen mallards and 2 dozen geese. Around 830 the goldeneyes start moving. Ended the day with 7 goldeneyes and 2 mallards. Picked up around 1030 as we had other obligations and as always 2 geese come in on the deck and locked up. We watched them sail in and flare at 50 yards.

Good end of the year for our little party, got a new hunting couple, re-ignited my fire and decided that I am definitely a diver hunter after my 12 years of service. used to have prime private land hunts for mallards/pins/blacks and woodies, but got sick of the drama. Sure love my divers and sea ducks, taste fine to me, love running long lines, love the speed of the hunt, love the weather and especially love the birds. Can't wait for next season as we are going to travel and focus solely on divers and sea ducks.

No I'm not going to sell my 4 dozen full body geese, layout blinds and puddle decoys.....still got to have my options, and what fun is waterfowling without having a shed jam packed with gear for any situation.

Was fun watching the posts and living through everyone for the majority of the season.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I can assure there will be not be anymore days in December next year.
If real duck hunters set the season dates, it will happen. We should have 3 different times for SE Michigan. 1. local ducks and blue wing teal (2 weeks) 2. migrating ducks (3 weeks) 3. ice time (3 weeks). BTW, how did you do last weekend?

·
Registered
931 Posts
If real duck hunters set the season dates, it will happen. We should have 3 different times for SE Michigan. 1. local ducks and blue wing teal (2 weeks) 2. migrating ducks (3 weeks) 3. ice time (3 weeks). BTW, how did you do last weekend?
Well, the season has been over a day, might as well start the 2021 season date debate...

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Well, the season has been over a day, might as well start the 2021 season date debate...
Hey Jerry, I think DNR should give us next two weeks for lost duck hunting time. Why can't they adjust the dates based on migration pattern, be flexible.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I had my daughter all weekend. I didn’t even go. The spot and group I normally go with did ok. Bunch of divers. So I didn’t miss much.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts