Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions that need some answers: I got a new spinning reel for Christmas and I want to put on some line to fish steelhead. What do you guy recommend? Second question: I used to fish the steelhead in the mouth of the Boardman about 100 years ago and we used tied spawn bags (3-5 salmon eggs) along with a 1/4 oz. split shot up about 18". Sure had a lot of fun watching those steelie dancing on the top. At the Joe I've been told to use a slide sinker with the split shot. What the advice here. I will be fishing off the pier. Another said to use the triple swivel and triangle sinker.
Let's here the pro's comment. :) :) :)

Been looking for a good landing net for the pier too. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The line depends on what application you'll be using. For the most part, you can't go wrong with Maxima ultragreen in 8 lb. For the piers, you'll want a triangle slider weight (1 to 3oz.) depending on wave action, a bead to stop the weight from sliding down and doing damage to your knot, then a barrel swivel with a 2 foot to 4 foot leader(shorter leader for rough water and longer for calm water), and then a #8 or #10 egg hook, then put on a floater spawn bag (bring both dime bags and golf balls and let the fish tell you what they want). Put a splitshot about12 to 18 inches up the leader and your all set. For the leader you can't go wrong with 4 or 6 lb ultragreen.

The splitshot and spawn bag gig still works good for bottom bouncing.

Good luck, let us know if you make it out, and feel free to ask any other questions. The other thread on here is making me itch to hit the piers myself.

Scott

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott - mother has already planned one of my days and it looks as if it was the warm one at that. Need to get that reel ready and tie some spawn.
You mentioned floater spawn bag - that is new to me can you explain? And also the bead.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
They have floaters balls for spawn in various colors. Put a few of these in the bags when you tie up the bags. This helps keep the bags off the bottom. You'll find these at any tackle shop next to the spawn tieing materials. As for the bead, you thread a bead on the line to keep the sinker damaging the knot. You can usually find these beads in tackle shops where they have beads and blades for making blindman spinner rigs.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions. This is the typical setup from what I've seen but there is definitely always more than one way to skin a cat. If you do a search of the forums, JeremyL put together a good thread about pier fishing that covers everything rather well.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts