Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,918 Posts
Another who needs 1-2 more years.
maroon89,
before I even looked at this buck's rack I noticed his body. I think this buck is 3.5. I'm just wondering what your criteria is for bucks i.e. age score, or points?
The rack looks like it grew just fine and more than likely will repeat the same characteristic in future years.
Nice pic!

Big T

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You really think he is that old? I don't want anyone to presume my standards are exceedlingly high, because they aren't. I guess I thought his rack was a little thin for 3.5. This is an agricultural area with plenty of feed.

That being said, I haven't harvested a buck recently as I have been letting them walk. Maybe I need to work on my field judging. What do you think? Watching Too many Buckmasters videos?

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
You really think he is that old? I don't want anyone to presume my standards are exceedlingly high, because they aren't. I guess I thought his rack was a little thin for 3.5. This is an agricultural area with plenty of feed.

That being said, I haven't harvested a buck recently as I have been letting them walk. Maybe I need to work on my field judging. What do you think? Watching Too many Buckmasters videos?
that deer is 3 yrs old...I'd hunt him...

·
Premium Member
30,918 Posts
I guess I thought his rack was a little thin for 3.5. This is an agricultural area with plenty of feed.
If you were to duplicate this bucks left side on to his right he would look considerably different. He has a substantial left antler.
Even in ag areas bucks remain individuals, some are big bodied small rack, some big rack small body and anything in between. His big body also distracts from the good left side he carries.
I'd put him on the hit list if he roamed my hunting grounds.

Big T

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
With that 3rd beam like that and i agree with the others this deer is at least 3.5 years old I am looking to put a whoopin on him at our place!!

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I agree that he looks to be in the 3.5 range. I would consider letting him walk one more year, but that could all change if he presented me with a good shot.;) He would go right on the top of my wifes hit list though.

·
Premium Member
30,918 Posts
I agree that he looks to be in the 3.5 range. I would consider letting him walk one more year, ...
picky, picky, picky...:lol::lol::lol:
Easy for you to say when you have senior citizen bucks on your land.;):lol:

Big T

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the friendly advice. He is now officially on my hit list. Of course, that's the easy part. Now I need a repeat appearance. Good Luck to all this year!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I killed a buck 2 years ago that I watched all pre-season on my Cuddeback that had that same kind of doublemain beam/split rack thing going on. He didn't have a real big rack, but aged at 3.5. He ended up with 15 scorable point, thanks to the mess he had on both brow tines :D

I'll see if I can find the pic of him and put it up for ya to see.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Great character! I would love to see that deer

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doublemainbeam-I'd love to see that photo!

Sat last night and saw 3 small bucks and one decent buck. Of course the small bucks presented many shot opportunities, the decent buck linger beyond bow range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts