Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to hunt late season goose in 3 weeks in the lake. was looking for a mojo goose and seems no one makes one. wonder why? found a field flapper goose that I can put on the shore. Are they effective to make them commit? thanks

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am planning to hunt late season goose in 3 weeks in the lake. was looking for a mojo goose and seems no one makes one. wonder why? found a field flapper goose that I can put on the shore. Are they effective to make them commit? thanks
Spinners spook geese, don't waste your money!

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for spinner comments. I saw a few videos that geese were landing next to flappers in the field. Has anyone tried down hunting in the water?

·
Registered
17,412 Posts
The whole idea of spinners is that it mimics the light / dark flash of ducks backpedaling as they land.

Geese wings are the same color top and bottom so there is no flash, and the frequency would be significantly lower than what spinners cycle at.

In effect, the whole idea is flawed. Even though they were sold when the spinny craze started before this was understood.

As for flappers, flagging has its days. But sometimes all it does is tell the geese where to find you. Hence the flapper being located some distance away draws the attention away from you.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
we use the lucky flapper and the geese land right on top of it. some almost attack it.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we use the lucky flapper and the geese land right on top of it. some almost attack it.
Thanks. ordered one yesterday. there is another one called lucky duck super flapper that twice as much money. Do you know the difference? Hopefully, one I got is going to last a few years.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thanks. ordered one yesterday. there is another one called lucky duck super flapper that twice as much money. Do you know the difference? Hopefully, one I got is going to last a few years.
The super flapper has much more range of motion and a better battery.

If you plan to hunt it over water you will need a serious pole that is well planted to hold it up, its rather heavy and awkward.

·
Registered
973 Posts
these are what I prefer. that work fantastic if used correctly. I use the 3 pack.

https://www.heavyhauleroutdoorgear....d-committed-motion-decoy-canada-three-pack-2/

they. are. awesome. hundreds of geese died over mine.
Couple questions...can you explain used properly? My thought is away from the blinds. I've started to sketch up my version of a remote goose flag. Set it in the decoys 30 yards out...

Next question-
Any reason why you couldn't use these on water?

Last question-
What's the duck reaction to them?

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have a lucky duck super flapper. It breaks wings, and will run out of battery a lot sooner than a standard spinner-especially in cold weather. You'll want to order extra wings when you buy it. The wings also fly off if it's very windy, or if the wind switches so it's the least little bit sideways to the decoy. It stays in my barn most days, but we've had times that it seemed to work. It's far from the first thing I'd buy to improve your spread.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
When field shooting I always had two hard-shell Geese mounted on a stick with roller bearings mounted in the deks. They would turn in the wind rotating like the real ones do. I often thought how you could get the head, neck to raise and fall.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
When field shooting I always had two hard-shell Geese mounted on a stick with roller bearings mounted in the deks. They would turn in the wind rotating like the real ones do. I often thought how you could get the head, neck to raise and fall.

a black slinky lol

·
Registered
540 Posts
we have a few flappers at the club. I have not seen them used but a few guys use them there. a big NO to spinners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I HAVE BEEN HAVING A LOT OF LUCK WITH THE MOJO MINI FLAGS AND A JTR FLAPPER DECOY MIXED IN WITH MY GOOSE AND DUCK DECOYS. DUCK SPINNERS CAN WORK FOR GEESE IF YOU DULL THE WINGS UP AND PUT THEM 6 TO 8 INCHES OF THE GROUND AND HAVE IT TURN ON AND OFF(INTERMITTENTLY) SO IT LOOKS LIKE DUCKS JUMPING AHEAD OF OTHER DUCKS.
IN THE LATE SEASON I ALSO USE THE DYNAMIC POWER BASES FOR MOTION.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I have found that geese are attracted to two things:

1) Busy roads near my house
2) Anywhere with grass, especially if I might happen to walk through the area in bare feet.

All I would need to put some in my freezer is a 9 iron and a few minutes to kill. I certainly don't get hiding under some fake cat-tails freezing my nuts off waiting for them to fly over, that's for sure. But to each their own! :D. Hope nobody gets their panties in a bunch. I am actually glad all you guys like to hunt, otherwise the launches would be really full this time of the year, so keep up the good work!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts