Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Spinning wing decoys

3K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  TNL 
#1 ·
I was down at Cabelas on saturday and Jim Ronquest said that spinning wing decoys are going to be legal in all the southern states this year. I think it was just Lou. and Ark. that made them illegal. This may be a stupid question , but do you think this could have any impact on the mallard population. I realize its only two states but I know they kill alot of ducks down there. Jim seemed to think its going to be a slaughter and thought its a horrible idea to bring them back.

#2 ·
This is just my opinion but I don't think so. The spinners dont work as good as they used to I think its because ducks have wised up to em. I saw they weren't working last year in the south prior field the guys in front of us had 3 or 4 of em one above the corn all they got was pass shooting we had 2 dozen dekes 3 of us shot our 4 greenheads in an hour or so. I know we had the best spot in the field that day but it showed the spinners wern't pulling em like they used to. Hopefully by the time they get down there they will shy away from em somewhat because they have seen enough of them.

#4 · (Edited)
One of the backwater spots I hunt requires you to pack in everything for your hunt and walk over a mile round trip.

I bought one of the remote control ones and even though it was a burden, started to carry one in.

I could not believe how effective the thing was at times:yikes:

Then other times I knew it was flaring birds.:(

One season is to short to use as baseline, but for my limited data it helped more than it hurt.

This year will really help me determine it's usefullness as a lot of the mistakes I made with it last year hopefully will not be repeated this seaon.

#6 ·
They have their time and place but arent the cure all. I think they are extremely effective.

A. In fields, if you got a bunch out the birds go retarded on dry land to em

B. I love using them in tight quarters where the birds only get a glimpse of them and than are sucked in before they can get out. IE little ponds with high trees, small rivers.

C. I did some experimenting with the Remote version last year. It is truly effective like on geese when you give them a short flash on the corners with a flag.

But for the most part once they have been roasted over one a couple of times or have long times to study it. They suck and will result in less birds in the bag than without.

#7 ·
know that they were illegal until about 9 years ago. "No motorized decoys" Why? They are effective. Will you kill every bird, no. However, you will probably shoot more with than without. Repeat, Why were they illegal? Because they are effective. The sport of duck hunting is about scouting, decoying and calling birds to effective shotgun range and then making killing shots. Too much gadgetry and especially electronic garbage. I think the spinners are allowing SOME guys to kill birds that, quite frankly, aren't skilled enough to consistently kill birds without them. Do the things spur interest, SURE THEY DO!! You've got guys that for years had trouble killing birds and now they feel like true killers with their new found "prowess". I know that we need to keep interest in the shooting sports but at what cost?
Somewhere, in graves long forgotten, are some old timers rolling over and thinking "what the HELL are these guys doing to the great sport of DUCK HUNTING!!"

#9 · (Edited)
Are you talking about the old timers that used punt guns?
:lol::lol::lol: I wuz thinking the same thing. Market hunting, sink boxes, punt guns, live decoys, HUGE daily limits (if any)....the current day hunter will never kill as many birds as they did in the late 1800's/early 1900's.

As far as spinners, I use 'em here some, but frankly I hate carrying the damn things and remembering to charge the battery :smile-mad. As most have said, they work sometimes, and they flare them sometimes. They do work in Nodak very well, but as Shi Kid said, it's the young, and/or uneducated birds that suck right in. And out west, 90% of them are uneducated just because there are so stinking many birds.

Sad to say that some people are relying waaaaay too much on spinners. I posted a rant a couple years ago when I carried a bag of dekes 3/4 mile back into one of my small little out of the way marshes one afternoon, and was having a really nice mallard shoot all by myself, with birds dropping into the spread well, until two guys came walking in, Set up 100 yds downwind, and all they had were two robo's. Soon all the mallards that had been decoying great were now making passes over the marsh instead, and these two gomers proceeded to start lobbing shots at 60 yd passing birds. After they "tickled" their second long bird and I watched it sail away, I picked up and left one bird short of my limit. Just ruined what would've been a day to remember. Then again, I guess THEY MADE IT a day to remember :rant:

#10 ·
SOME guys to kill birds that, quite frankly, aren't skilled enough to consistently kill birds without them. Do the things spur interest, SURE THEY DO!! You've got guys that for years had trouble killing birds and now they feel like true killers with their new found "prowess". I know that we need to keep interest in the shooting sports but at what cost?
Somewhere, in graves long forgotten, are some old timers rolling over and thinking "what the HELL are these guys doing to the great sport of DUCK HUNTING!!"
There's a lot of truth to that statement, a lot of the younger guys and some old as well that really don't know "How" and when to call ducks effectively. They depend on the robo to do it all, and if one doesn't work maybe two or three will be better. So ? Ok , there shooting ducks and having a good time, but there's no skill involved per say, so when the robo stops working what are they going to do then ? I don't think the robo's have ruined the sport , but made it a lot easier for most. I would hope that through posts like this and in the field, other guys would see who's bringing in the ducks and the calling that's involved etc. So guys/gals that want to learn will pay attention and gain experience by being out there, asking questions and try different things. There's always been the week-end hunters, the true duck hunters will come to the top, and spend the time to learn. I will say this tho ! Duck hunting was going down fast until the robo's came out, the younger generation just didn't want to take the time to learn etc, so in one way the robo's have kindled an interest again in a dying sport. We're still headed down a slippery slope, but not quite as fast. So if the older guys can help the younger guys, we all benefit. I am quite sure there is older guys that "Are" turning over in there graves about the new technology, then there's others who go with the flow and make it work.............:)

#11 ·
They are deadly for early season local birds. But, come November, they have seen them from the Northwest Territories on down, and they know damn well what happens when they go near one of them thar thangs.
I think they really help field hunting too. With a dirt background, decoys are hard to see from a distance.

#12 ·
I truly think after opening weekend, motion on water will result in more dead ducks than a spinner. IE quiver magnets, quiver butts, and a good ol fashioned jerk string.

So how do you all feel about a mallard machine or higdon pulsator. Not as flashy and attractive as a spinner but IMO would probably be better on finishing ducks than a spinner.

#13 ·
Shouldn't hurt the population that much. Arkansas didn't 'outlaw' them until 2005 and there were plenty of them out there up until then. On some days they worked, others they didn't (except with Gaddies - they love 'em, never failed!). The thing about spinners in the South is that they've seen them all the way down, so they were probably always less effective in the South than in the more northerly states (can't say from personal experience, as I've never used them in MI).

#14 ·
Spinners are great for all the hunters that cant set blocks, use a call or set-up properly. You know, the one's consistently taking the 60- 70 yard shots at birds flaring off. While doing bird counts over the west end of Erie last season you could look out over the public marshes. Looked like we were flying over Vegas. Later the same day we went to one of the large public marshes to check hunters. "We got 3 mallard (2 hens) but we knocked down 7" "Lost 5 birds today, hate that steel shot" " Got these 2 teal but the dog couldn't find 3 greenheads" "Lots of birds moving but we couldn't get em close" :dizzy: Spinners are nothing but crippling POS.

#15 ·
"We got 3 mallard (2 hens) but we knocked down 7" "Lost 5 birds today, hate that steel shot" " Got these 2 teal but the dog couldn't find 3 greenheads" "Lots of birds moving but we couldn't get em close" :dizzy: Spinners are nothing but crippling POS.
That's a people problem, not the spinner's fault. Sometimes spinners work, sometimes they don't. It's about that simple. Take 'em down if they're not working. But I have yet to see a spinner shoot a duck, and cripple it. Actually I've never seen one even take a shot, for that matter.

#16 ·
Amen Super black eagle. Its a people problem get out and shoot some skeet, with your steel shot if you can and by God, Hold it till you can fold it! let'em get in close its more fun and less frustrateing. Spinners never pulled a trigger. I use em hidden in the weeds and often end up pulling them after the 2nd week of the season.

#17 ·
Jim seemed to think its going to be a slaughter and thought its a horrible idea to bring them back.
If you have ever had the chance to hunt with Jim, ban him from calling ducks would seem more appropriate. He was tight lipped that day and wouldnt give out any of his secrets.

Field hunting Sask, as my dad would say "shut that ***** thing off, we're here to kill geese"

I thought spinners would legal on private land only this year in AR?

#18 ·
He also in the end said they most likley were more effective than not having them, and concluded like most of already know, use some common sense. ANYTHING will work some of the time. You simply need to know when to pull the spinners, or pull the blocks. Coul dbe either one that is flaring them. Could be concealment more than decoys though. Never know untill you remove one from the equation and try again.

Was a good time at Cebellas last weekend, expensive as hell, but fun. I ended up with a dozen of those full bodied goose decoys with motion stakes ! Most expensive decoys I ever bought... I also got somfa couple of those Puddler packs to add into my mallard spread. With the rebates on the Remington HD loads I got some of those too, great prices on thoses with the factory rebate.

Highlight of the weekend BY FAR was my new toy. Never knew Cabellas offered financing on those blasted mud motors............ hehehehehe.

#19 ·
Haven't made up my mind on spinners yet, as said, sometimes they work sometimes not. In low light conditions have found them deadly. As soon as the first bird flares, I go yank it. In Louisiana I have seen something that works even better than spinners. A bubble machine that creates water disturbance in a stagnat rice pond. My cousin has a couple he uses in the blocks set up on remote control. As the birds fly over he hits the bubble machines and "wow" do the birds react. I don't think LA and AR will slaughter them any worse than when they were not allowed to use them. It really all depends on weather there. Multiple pushes of really cold air around mid December to Jan = lots of mallards. Going home to LA. for Christmas, so will be doing lots of duck hunting that week. I'm sure there will be much novelty for the spinners!!!

#20 ·
...Spinners are nothing but crippling POS.
Once again, your comments amaze me. :confused: How do you possibly connect spinners with crippling? Shooting poorly is shooting poorly, whether it's over standard dekes, spinners, or jump shooting with no dekes at all. As I said previously, I'm not fond of spinners myself, but just because you use one doesn't mean you're going to cripple birds. :dizzy:

#21 ·
Throughout the sport of duck hunting the way we hunt ducks has evoled. from straw decoys that only resembled the shape of a bird. then to wood with verry minimal paint. then to plastic and so on. in every generation there have been technological advances that have made us better duck hunters. and the birds have evolved with us. you go back 200 years and throw out a doz greenhead decoys and every duck hunter is gunna say you are cheeting. Why, cuz its a new concept that they arnt used to. now if you throw out some wood blocks that they used 100 years ago, even if you are the best caller in the world chances are it wont be as effective.

#22 ·
Throughout the sport of duck hunting the way we hunt ducks has evoled. from straw decoys that only resembled the shape of a bird. then to wood with verry minimal paint. then to plastic and so on. in every generation there have been technological advances that have made us better duck hunters. and the birds have evolved with us. you go back 200 years and throw out a doz greenhead decoys and every duck hunter is gunna say you are cheeting. Why, cuz its a new concept that they arnt used to. now if you throw out some wood blocks that they used 100 years ago, even if you are the best caller in the world chances are it wont be as effective.
Yeah just think what the big decoy carvers of the early 1900's thought when plastic decoys started coming on the market in what...the 1960's? Cheating is probably mild for what they were saying. And go further...how about mud motors, GPS', four wheel drive pick ups, quads, neoprene waders, non-tox shot, and on and on and on. And forget hunting, look at society in general with the computers we're all typing these messages on right now, or the internet that Al Gore created :evilsmile, or big flat screen tv's...on and on. Don't get me wrong...I'm typically the guy in our duck blind bitching about new technology. But that ship has sailed many moons ago...like it or not.

#23 ·
I firmly believe you use every thing avaiable be it clumps of mud or spinning wings and flags. I can kill ducks over decoys painted black as well as decoys with every feather detailed. The trick is to be where the birds want to be.
you can set up in a spot a hundred yards from where the ducks want to land and have the best of every kind of technological equipment in the form of decoys and gadgets. I can be exactly where those birds want to land with a dozen black decoys and some calling and I will kill birds that won't even look at another rig. Duck hunt is like real estate it's location location location.
Two rigs both set where birds want to be and the best set with the best calling will out produce the other. the trick there is to know which is the best set for the area and time of season. Duck hunting is not a matter of life and death its far more important then that.IMHO

#25 ·
JD -

I think he's speaking metaphorically.

that's my guess. (see I subcribe to tzu suns principles - I think i'm starting to figure everything out! :p )
Well I guess you're giving him the benefit of the doubt...I took his post more literally, just based on recent history of the poster :dizzy:

But hey, life is too short to worry about this kind of crap...still have walleyes and perch to get in the freezer before October ;)

#26 ·
I truly think after opening weekend, motion on water will result in more dead ducks than a spinner. IE quiver magnets, quiver butts, and a good ol fashioned jerk string.

So how do you all feel about a mallard machine or higdon pulsator. Not as flashy and attractive as a spinner but IMO would probably be better on finishing ducks than a spinner.
There's nothing that will make a smart flock of mallards commit any better on a windless day than the good ol fashion jerk string if you ask me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.