Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am at a loss and I would like your advice.

I am a long time user of Shimano reels and was always satisfied with their products. I still have several 12-15 year old Shimanos that are in decent shape and still offer great service. In 2007, I spent $80 for one of their reels and it lasted all of 2 years. It just wasn't the Shimano quality I was used to in my older reels. So, in 2009 I went to Gander Mountain and thought that since the Shimanos are no longer that good-I would try one of Gander's Guide Series reels. The price was good ($50 on sale) and it was identical to the Pflueger "President" reels. I was happy withit until just last week when it crapped out-the gearbox has frozen up. Thursday, I am going to take it back to 'em and get a different reel-any suggestions? Daiwa? A new Shimano? others?

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I was a die-hard Daiwa guy forever, until a buddy turned me on to the Stradic's... I've had the magnesium Stradic for about 6 or 7 years now. The newer Stradics are a little more pricey than they used to be, but you'll still be hard-pressed to find a better reel in that price range.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
IMHO Shimano makes the best spinning reel in any given price range.

I have been buying the Stradics for a while now and they hold up very well to the abuse I subject them to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I prefer daiwa reels cabelas has a line I believe the pro guide that are made by daiwa. They range in price from $70-100. Hope this helps out
Rich

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pflueger Presidential is my current rod and reel. Reel is the smoothest i've had and just such a detailed reel. Rubber grip, sureclick bail, lightweight.
The rod i have came with the reel as i bought it as a combo. I'm sure there are better rods out there but this one is great for me. Cork grips and just a good feel to it.
http://www.cabelas.com/spinning-combos-pflueger-president-spinning-combo.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=shopping&WT.z_mc_id1=03332920&rid=40&mr:referralID=6a5fdac1-cab4-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0

I'd recommend it. But i've felt some of their other reels and those are nice as well. Not as nice as a $200 Shimano but it's a quarter the price. Take away what you will but i hope my opinion helps. Expensive isn't always better.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Pflueger Presidential and their Supreme models have worked out well for me. Also have had a couple of Abu garcia cardinal models for years that have never failed. I have had problems with The Gander model as well with line not coming off smooth when casting.

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
and it was identical to the Pflueger "President" reels.
Pflueger made the Gander guide reels for a few years....Not anymore though.
Not sure who is making em this year, but they're completly different.

I bought a Pflueger president this spring and it worked great on the river....T

Got a couple of 20 year old shimano fx's that I still use for yanking perch in the fall!

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Have had numerous Shimano spinning reels from the cheap ones up to the Stradic. Have a friend who was given a Stella model as a present (WOW!). I hate to disparage an $800 reel but I couldn't tell the difference between my Stradic and his Stella! They've all held up well but, as with baitcasters, the most important thing to me is the smoothness of the drag and usually (not always) the more money you pay the better drag you get. I could care less about the number of bearings as long as it has a good drag and, unfortunately, the less expensive reels, on average, can't cut it there.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Pflueger made the Gander guide reels for a few years....Not anymore though.
Not sure who is making em this year, but they're completly different.

I bought a Pflueger president this spring and it worked great on the river....T

Got a couple of 20 year old shimano fx's that I still use for yanking perch in the fall!
..I seem to remember reading or hearing that Pflueger made reels for Bass Pro Shop. Same reels but for less $$$ ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
It all depends I what your willing to spend. I'm a shimano guy and have high end reels, as well as cheap ones. I wanted to try out a quantum smoke spinning reel so I bought one and it is almost as good as my sustain fg. You'll get many different answer to your question as it mostly preference, however I would spend at least a hundred bucks on a spinning reel if you want the higher end features.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, thanks for all the great advice.

Yesterday, I took the failed Gander Guide Series reel (it is really a Plueger President that Gander re-badged) back to Gander. I talked to the fishig department manager and he was VERY helpful. He gave me credit for the reel (!!!!!) and recommended that I go back to trying the Shimanos again. I bought a Symetre 2500 FJ. Last night I spooled it and am going to try it out tomorrow.

I know the chains (deservedly)get beat up on service, but I really gotta say that Gander took good care of me. The customer service was excellent.

Jim

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Good to hear Jim. If you were doing business with the Novi location, they truly do help people out. They are good people that work at that store.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Jim , put them spinning reels away and get yourself a couple of A&S reels for the sides of that 14 footer . Most days out that rig would be well suited for the river.:evil:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave-I would...... if a friend/neighbor of mine would ever invite me out on the river for a handlining introduction to the sport so I can get addicted to it like he is......hint.....hint....hint.........:)

BTW, the Gander I went to was Taylor however, I also like the folks inthe fishing (and archery) department in Novi.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts