Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to tie some muddlers using elk hair. having no luck getting it to spin. when i use deer hair spins like a champ. is the elk hair to stiff to spin correctly.
when i put my 2 loose wraps around the elk hair then bite down, the elk hair does not fan out. i can tie a elk hair caddis like a champ, but when i try to spin it no luck. am i on the right track that the elk hair is to stiff. ???.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I have been trying to tie some muddlers using elk hair. having no luck getting it to spin. when i use deer hair spins like a champ. is the elk hair to stiff to spin correctly.
when i put my 2 loose wraps around the elk hair then bite down, the elk hair does not fan out. i can tie a elk hair caddis like a champ, but when i try to spin it no luck. am i on the right track that the elk hair is to stiff. ???.
There are so many different kinds of hair per hide it's not easy to give a good description in a venue like this. Besides the assorted hair textures per single hide, you have differences in bull elk, cow elk, yearling and so on.
here's a good piece that explains quite fully the differences between hairs and how they behave when tying.
I sure hope this helps...
http://midcurrent.com/flies/fly-tying-hair-selection/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts