Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the lakes and rivers start to freeze, I thought I’d try putting some spinner jigs together. As many of you know I paint a lot of blades, mostly for crawler harnesses so I have plenty on my workbench. I bought some wire forms and started adding hooks and blades.

I’m looking for some experience to help determine good working combinations of hook type and size, blade size, beads or no beads, etc. Ready to hear some suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Yeah, toss a split ring and swivel on there, the blade will get the action you're looking for. Either way, experiment and look at both ways and see which has the action you're looking for. I take it these will be slow falling since there's no jighead involved?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you call it a spinner jig if there’s no swivel on the blade to let it spin?
Slapping my forehead because the barrel swivels are right there on my bench next to the split rings and blades. I’m getting old

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Without the swivel I think they are properly called a flutter rather than a spinner.

Reactions: tincanary

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Clipped direct as in the first picture, would it actually flutter (which I think would work great) or just insist on spinning and twist up the line?
Maybe a weight on bottom and the blade up top would stabilize it?
Not home this week or I'd just make one and drag it around the bathtub to find out!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clipped direct as in the first picture, would it actually flutter (which I think would work great) or just insist on spinning and twist up the line?
Maybe a weight on bottom and the blade up top would stabilize it?
Not home this week or I'd just make one and drag it around the bathtub to find out!
They’re pretty light. For that reason alone I’ll add weight somewhere

1 - 15 of 15 Posts