Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a chance to snag 1000 spikes. Has anyone bought this many and they stayed good ? Seems if I've got a little chew thing and they're in fridge for more then a week they turn brown-hard and no good..

Any input welcome. Know guy's will say use plastic but I'm not fishing without spikes :)

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
Temp matters.
33degrees or just above stalls development best.
Keeping them dry , while moist too.
Don't overcrowd them.
Corn meal for food.
Sifting them on occasion to sort developed ones out and sloughed of skin can help preserve them. Gives a time to check thier dryness/dampness state without being to wet.

Sawdust can bed them. But not too deep.
Your tobacco can might not provide enough ventilation. Is it holed in the lid?
Carrying them in a container while fishing lets them breath as you remove the lid now and then letting air in. Leaving them closed up does not.

Keeping spikes alive | Michigan Sportsman - Online Michigan Hunting and Fishing Resource (michigan-sportsman.com)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good info above on keeping them alive. I usually order 1000 - 2000 each season on-line from Vados. I'll have live ones for the whole season but I lose a lot too, Probably end up with 50-75% good ones. Keep them in the plastic bag and sawdust they come in in the refrigerator and only take out what I need each trip. Also get 500-1000 wax worms from same place. They last pretty good in a cool dark spot in my basement. By the way, these aren't all for me. I share them with a couple fishing partners.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Lot of good advise .I use to keep them in a cool whip container about 6inchs By 3 Inch’s.Waif is right about temp.In mine they would keep best on top shelf.I know one thing hell of lot cheaper plus just fill your little bait container no stopping a bait shops.But i by any thing also I need at anglers or Brian at Blue water I like to help them they have a hard business don’t know how they do it.If they had good ice before Christmas it would have really helped them a lot

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lot of good advise .I use to keep them in a cool whip container about 6inchs By 3 Inch’s.Waif is right about temp.In mine they would keep best on top shelf.I know one thing hell of lot cheaper plus just fill your little bait container no stopping a bait shops.But i by any thing also I need at anglers or Brian at Blue water I like to help them they have a hard business don’t know how they do it.If they had good ice before Christmas it would have really helped them a lot
Tried Brian today ! He doesn't answer ! Would way rather give him business instead of this place but what are ya gonna do when he don't answer...

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Tried Brian today ! He doesn't answer ! Would way rather give him business instead of this place but what are ya gonna do when he don't answer...
I’ll usually get him to pick up if I call around 3 or 3:30. Other times are sketchy, either working in the back packing bait containers or tied up with a customer.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Do you need to know cost or want to order some Aj ? I can get ahold of him got his cell #

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought my 1000 at the Selfridge Sportsmans Direct store about a month ago when I did some dock fishing. I was hoping for ice between Christmas. I normally split it with one of my fishing friends, and we put what we need short term into our puck carriers. It normally lasts for the entire ice season, also there is some loss, and they tend to shrink up over time. I have not fed them before, but perhaps I should.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I used to order them from Vadis. Would leave them in the plastic bag and open the bag every day or two. Also use the plastic pucks. I have a few small ones and a few of the big pucks that hold hundreds. As stated keep in fridge is best. The smaller bait shop plastic containers i will also store on the window sill by the glass. They keep well there too.

Ice, ice, baby.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Bought 500 the last 2 winters. They lasted til spring. Take some out and put in a small container. Keep the bulk in your big container and don't put the ones in your "fishin" container back with the ones in the fridge . If your like me the small container will get left in cloths and warm up inside or freeze outside and those spikes may start to deteriorate before the refrigerated ones in the large container. Had good luck with wax worms doing the same thing A.J.

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought 500 the last 2 winters. They lasted til spring. Take some out and put in a small container. Keep the bulk in your big container and don't put the ones in your "fishin" container back with the ones in the fridge . If your like me the small container will get left in cloths and warm up inside or freeze outside and those spikes may start to deteriorate before the refrigerated ones in the large container. Had good luck with wax worms doing the same thing A.J.
Thanks Gary. Looks like more then likely a dark side bite this yr !! Canals... I'm waiting for Brian to be open SOMETIME..way rather give him my $

My "puck" is usually in fridge after I get home. Try n remember. My old lady don't mind. Hell last wk or so ago I had some worms, buddy says "where in the hell ya find worms ?" They've been in fridge for months :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts