Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Almost turned around and went somewhere else to launch Monday when I seen the line to launch at Hoyles. In the past it would have taken hours to launch with that many people but they had workers helping unload boats and had the golf carts giving rides. Anyways fished the past two days and I'm sure everybody's catching tons of fish. We landed over 20 keepers both days and a bunch of dinks and junk fish. Fished a little while this morning and got tired of crawlers and switched things up. Pulled mean streaks and spoons behind 1oz inline weights. The best spoons were the new moonshine walleye spoons in agent orange and stinger spoons. We were up by Augres today looking for bigger fish and didn't find anything to speak of. This past winter and so far this spring/early summer its hard to get fish over that 25in mark. The ones in the photos were 23, 24 and 25, they go back. Trolling the cranks/spoons was alot easier and relaxing today, got the bugs off us a little bit and didn't have to mess with crawlers. Trolling at 2.4mph to 2.8mph, also the water warmed up almost 4degrees from 11am to 4pm.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Nice Catch....someday I'm gonna have to head that way....instead of Erie......Mack

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Tired of messin' with crawlers and the mess in the boat ? Try Gulp crawlers in natural or grn. pumpkin. Also had some left over Leeches, and got some fish on them with single hook finesse rigs. C-man

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
chamookman said:
Tired of messin' with crawlers and the mess in the boat ? Try Gulp crawlers in natural or grn. pumpkin. Also had some left over Leeches, and got some fish on them with single hook finesse rigs. C-man
I've been doing as good on the Gulp as real crawlers and its alot easier and cleaner!!;) Nice to see ya again Bob!! We'll have to hook up some time and fish together.

Scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice to see someone releasing those bigger fish. Why keep a fish over 20 when you can get all the eaters you want?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Nice to see someone releasing those bigger fish. Why keep a fish over 20 when you can get all the eaters you want?
Bigger filets for those of us not being able to fish everyday!!

1.5 hour pulling your boat on I-75-$40
Trolling 4 hours - $20
Boat payment -$200
Daily launch fee- $6
drink/food $40
Bait - $10
Bringing home an extra 5 lbs of walleye filets because you kept a couple extra 20 plus inch fish - priceless.

Hey J, If you were really concerned about the welfare of these bigger fish, you wouldn't target them in every tournament and add that much more stress to them!!:) :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Then save yourself some money and buy some Gill netted Canadian Walleye. All joking aside we need to take care of the resource. Just like keeping big hen Steelhead or in somecases the large Browns from the South Branch of the Ausable. And as for meat is concerned there is a lot of meat in a limit of 17 in fish.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Contrary to popular Trout Unlimited beliefs a big brown in the river system such as the AuSable is a real predator to other smaller trout and the big browns are actually the ones to keep(18 inch and bigger) and best to release the smaller trout, of course they all taste good onthe grill! Protecting the resources is based on not fishing the river systems when the walleyes/steelhead are spawning and more sensitive to stress when being pulled off the bottom or rocks!

Spawing conditions and food dictate how the coming years for walleyes will be. Fisherman take a small percentage of fish that are actually in a ecosystem the size of sag. and huron.

Who says the 17 incher you just put inthe livewel isn't a 1-2 year old female??

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
WallyJ is right on, there is a reason we go to Canada, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and other states to fish. It is becasue they have better fishing. Sure the Bay is world class but our inland waters don't even rank. Slot limits and other sound management practices that the states outdoorsman follow and believe in. There is a reason to release the majority of the bigger fish.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
WallyJ is right on, there is a reason we go to Canada, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and other states to fish.
What? Saginaw, Detroit, St Clair, close enough to Lake Erie, Houghton Lake, Little Bay De Noc, Munoscong bay, what the heck more do you want!?!? Not every in-land lake can be your honey-hole like that isolated lake in Canada or the Minnesota.:dizzy:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree about the gulp worms, been using them for the past 3 or 4 yrs but they don't keep the dinks off like they used to. Cranks and spoons are all about covering more water and something different. If you look back at past PWT tourneys the big fish of the event were usually caught on cranks. But the winners usually did the crawler thing, just a change of pace for me. A slot limit is needed for sure on the bay, we have tons of dinks and a lack of bigger fish. And there isn't much difference in the amount of good meat on a 18in or 22in fish, do you really want to eat more belly meat because that is about the only difference.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Munoscong Bay is nothing like it used to be. Just thought I would put in my $.02.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
And there isn't much difference in the amount of good meat on a 18in or 22in fish, do you really want to eat more belly meat because that is about the only difference.
Look again. :dizzy:

Maybe the reason you lack a good amount of bigger fish because you are hammering and keeping the 16-19 inch fish. The bay is filled with little ones-so the spawing fish must be there in solid numbers..right? Is this a hard concept.....you let go all the big ones so you have your spawning fish you then hammer and keep all the young fish so the amount of fish left to grow into that medium/large size is..??? What you guys are not doing is keeping the 15-16 inchers, slot limit release the 17-22 inchers and be able to keep 1-2 larger 23 plus inch fish. Instead you guys are out there letting go the 15-16 inchers keeping the slot limits and letting go the fish that have already spawned at least once or more in the lifes. In retrospect you guys preaching might be doing more harm then good, thats if your trying to accomplish what I think your trying to accomplish.

Then again, I fish for primarily silver fish the ones that actually pull your walleye boards under the water!:lol:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
we been throwing anything under 16 back...slot limits are fine for a trophy fishery...but have little if any benifit to the health of the fishery.....

its a different animal now...before we had a basically set number of fish now natural reproduction is setting the number....

throwing large fish back is pointless for spawning or reproductive purposes....7 pound plus walleye are infertile...there eggs just dont hatch...reproductive tracts wear out in time...

14-20 inch fish are most likely the majority spawners in the saginaw bay water shead do to the amount of fish

personally i like 4-5 lb fish for eating.....theres just not enough meat on the little ones..but for now ill be taking them just to kull the fish down .....we simply have what the DNR wants a slower growth rate...and a population near or i believe above carying capacity...

lower population= higher growth rate ......and i think the bay is near a stunt situation right now

·
Registered
117 Posts
the "how much we take home" debate is always interesting. I average less than once a month walleye fishing on any body of water and rarely get a limit(sometimes none) so i take home whatever the Dnr says i can..no big deal. i start catching too many they'll let me know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If there is not enough meat on a smaller walleye how in the world can explain people going nuts over perch and gills. Give me a break keep all the little ones throw the bigger fish back.

·
Registered
907 Posts
esoxer said:
the "how much we take home" debate is always interesting. I average less than once a month walleye fishing on any body of water and rarely get a limit(sometimes none) so i take home whatever the Dnr says i can..no big deal. i start catching too many they'll let me know.

Thanks how I feel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts