Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some planting tips. I am waiting for a callback from coldstream. I will be ordering 150 1'-2' size. I will be planting them in my back field about 6 acres. I am thing about just using a narrow shovel/tree spade.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
A spade worked well us. Not sure what you're going to do for protecting them but the bucks went crazy rubbing on some of ours and almost killed them.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure yet either. I was going to see what they do. In the first field behind my house they get after all the popular. There are so many it really has not had an overall affect other then some nice scars as they mature.

·
Banned
5,220 Posts
I was looking for some planting tips. I am waiting for a callback from coldstream. I will be ordering 150 1'-2' size. I will be planting them in my back field about 6 acres. I am thing about just using a narrow shovel/tree spade.
First off, there is no guarantee Coldstream can provide the 1-2 feet for this spring. Traditionally back ordered for a season or a year.

Second, that size is very subject to browse by deer. If you can get three months of growth on them, then they can stand up to further browse, thereafter. I personally would spray them as often as possible with Deerstopper or similar product during the first three months.

They are not particularly picky about how you plant them, but obviously they thrive in moist, wet soil.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope I can get some this spring even if I have change amounts or size. Thanks for the tips Steve. I should be able to keep them sprayed since I live on this property. Do you feel buying a taller size maybe more likely to survive deer browsing?

·
Registered
787 Posts
First off, there is no guarantee Coldstream can provide the 1-2 feet for this spring. Traditionally back ordered for a season or a year.

Second, that size is very subject to browse by deer. If you can get three months of growth on them, then they can stand up to further browse, thereafter. I personally would spray them as often as possible with Deerstopper or similar product during the first three months.

They are not particularly picky about how you plant them, but obviously they thrive in moist, wet soil.
I received a return email from them yesterday regarding availability of the SA.
I ordered 100 today . I was not told of any potential back order issue.
Maybe they are caught up on stock.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I received a return email from them yesterday regarding availability of the SA.
I ordered 100 today . I was not told of any potential back order issue.
Maybe they are caught up on stock.
I ordered 50 the end of November and they were quick to respond and wanted to know if I would prefer a spring 2015 delivery (which I did)

I'm thinking I need 50 more :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Does speckled alder make a good screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
If planted close enough together I would say YES...they tend to hold their leaves a little longer into the Fall also compared to other trees. With their quick growth you may get a quicker screen than compared to a more long term option like Norway Spruce. You can also think about miscanthus. That is going to be my focus this next Spring for creating a screen.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Does speckled alder make a good screen?
It's pretty good for a deciduous tree, but I'd say the screening is from ~5' and up in instances where it's growing tree-like. In some instances you might need something lower. in addition to help screen.

I've also wanted to experiment with cutting it back and/or hinging it to make it more like a bushy shrub, but haven't yet - has anyone else? Photos?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If I remember correctly Bishs had cut some of his back on his property with good results. I also believe he tried hinge cutting a few with good results as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone had good success with "Black Alder"? They seem to get taller than the "Speckled Alder", just wondering if they grow as fast and are as hardy?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts