Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly new ('06) hardrock and I am already having shifting problems. when I shift into 3-6,7,8 as I've been told to shift, the chain jumps to the point that it is unsafe to ride. I do ride hard but I have it well maintained since day one. I think it is the derailer in the front that got tweaked, but like I said I am hard on my toys. Does anyone know what else It may be? It is twoards the end of the season, If I cant find out what it is, I may just take it in. I have had a new chain put on, I had to have the crank bearings changed and thats about it.

like I said, any and all help is appreciated.

thanks for reading,

Pat

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I could be that your new chain has stretched. It could also be that you are peddling too hard as you shift. I drop my chain from doing that from time to time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can I check the chain? I hope I didnt ruin the gearing.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
check out Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance. That book has helped me a lot. There is a fairly easy way to check for chair stretch but I forgot how to do it off hand.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It sounds like your rear derailler needs adjusting. There is a high and low gear adjusting screws on your derailler. For a easy demo go to youtube and search rear derailler adjusting. That should help alot. When your chain stretches you need to tweek your derailler every now and then.............Good Luck

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, I will give them a shot. the chain that I have now is about a year old, how often should I replace them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The age of the chain has no bearing on it's condition so long as it has been lubed and is not rusted. The 'wear' will come from miles. I get around 1000 miles out of my chains but poor conditions can shorten that a bit. Park makes a handy tool called the CC-2 chain checker, works great, under $20, nice to have if you ride a lot.

Sounds to me like your problem is a rear derailleur adjustment as mentioned, however, you do not want to adjust the hi-low limit screws. Theses are often a one time adjustment performed when the bike was set up and never really goes out of adjustment. They are merely stops that limits the derailleurs travel so it cannot dump into the spokes or off the cassette into the frame.

Usually shifting degrades a cables stretch and or get gunked up. Make sure the rear derailleur cable moves smoothly in the housing. If you are sure it does then try addition tension with the tension adjustment adjuster which is located at the shifter as well as another where the cable enters the rear der. Try a turn a time and see if it gets better. If it is way off you'd want to loosen the cable bolt on the rear der and take up the slack. When on the smallest gear in in the back (11t) the cable needs to have no real slack in it, just lightly snug.

Also, one possibility could be a bent rear der. hanger (easy fix) with the Park DAG-1 tool or a new hanger.

If you have any questions or need help troubleshooting more just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump
I dont want to make multiple threads in a low volume fourm.

Is there any way I can adjust the derailer(s) to make an easier shift between 2nd and 3rd? What does it take to bend a tooth on a gear?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Honestly I would take it to your local bike shop and have it checked out...they will be able to determine if anything is bent and can get everything adjusted so you're ready to ride. :coolgleam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts