Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years go..ok, more than just a few, I found a spear in a parking lot at a lake I can't remember the name of. (It really was more than a few years) I'm planning on giving it a try and need a little info like a live fish as a lure or plastic? If live, what type of fish? What area of Lake St. Clair would be better? Off Palms Rd (that ramp just south of it) and surrounding area or around Selfridge? Any info would be greatly appreciated and if you don't want to go public with it, please use the pm thingy. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
26,702 Posts
Pike and perch are about all the fish you can spear. (besides bowfin, carp....)
Fair Haven and Selfridge areas are about the best because of the fish being there and the depth and of course weedbeds.

Live bait is great (sucker, large shiner, or even a perch or gill) and a plastic decoy is good. Had success with each.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Pike and perch are about all the fish you can spear. (besides bowfin, carp....)
Fair Haven and Selfridge areas are about the best because of the fish being there and the depth and of course weedbeds.

Live bait is great (sucker, large shiner, or even a perch or gill) and a plastic decoy is good. Had success with each.
Just a heads-up .............doesn't look like they extended perch spearing season. A few guys might not realize that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-203142--,00.html

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
going to be hard to get the steel down with all the lines in the water....

The new regulation, which takes effect April 1, 2009, allows anglers to use three rods on all waters and in pursuit of all species, though the DNR retains the authority to reduce the rule to two rods if necessary.

Guess I'm going to need a couple more rod holders for the boat.

U can spear anywhere u can find decent visability....and the fish :lol: Last year that seemed to be a problem:help: Fairhaven usully has clearer water...but not always.

I have had some of my best days off metro and ginos though....dont be afraid to go shallow too..

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Cotton rd. 8-10' of water,,,saw some slobs out there last year.... (pike) Saw some slob perch to but catchin'em was a different story...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
are you aloud to spear in the canals and marina's or do you have to be on the main lake?

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Pretty sure its "connecting waters" too..... alot of times visability is the problem unless ur in the main lake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts