Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid I speared perch when my old man went
Pike spearing in Lake Erie. Of course we could do a lot more when I was a kid anyway.
I looked in the Michigan Fishing Guide and I can only see Perch spearing allowed in Lake St.Clair. Am I reading this right???

·
Registered
221 Posts
It wasn't lega; when you were a kid you just didn't get caught.
This is hard to say unless you know how old he is; My grandfather used to duck hunt with a "duck boat" back in the day. It was a small boat with three mounted 10 gauge shotguns, you would wait for the ducks to come to a pond then pull the trigger and BLAM! Then you go collect a flock. :lol: It is amazing what they used to do here in the Michigan outdoors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It wasn't legal when you were a kid you just didn't get caught.
It was back in the late 50s and early 60's. I thought it was legal in all the Great Lakes? We would get ice so thick you could drive a pickup on it and we caught perch by the pail full. When I see all this excitement when someone here catches a few perch I'm glad that I was around back then. Access was available to all the fishing sites that now you need a Metro Park sticker or paying someone $5.00 to park if you have any access at all. I don't remember seeing fishing sites strewn with trash then either and there were thousands of people on the ice back then. I hadn't ice fished in almost 20 years (started last year again) and I feel like Rip Van Winkle. 50 page fishing regulation booklets that take a Philadelphia lawyer to interpret. Why can you spear perch in Lake St, Clair and not Erie ? Every fishing hole has its own regulations? Looks like it. Welcome to the 21st century. Glad to see you young folks still fishing but believe me I’m glad that I icefished back 20-40 years ago. There is NO Comparision.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I I don't remember seeing fishing sites strewn with trash then either and there were thousands of people on the ice back then.
The dumping grounds in lake st.clair got their name for a reason, don't make it seem as if the older generations treated these lakes better they we do now. :lol:

Not to mention up in shelby twp MI home of the worst toxic waste dumps in the US was just a stone's throw away from the clinton river.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dumping grounds in lake st.clair got their name for a reason, don't make it seem as if the older generations treated these lakes better they we do now. :lol:

Not to mention up in shelby twp MI home of the worst toxic waste dumps in the US was just a stone's throw away from the clinton river.
Those were corporations and industry that did that. Probably the same ones that are poluting 3rd world countries now. Individuals were for the most part brought up better to respect people's property. With almost 30 years in the military I was taught "clean as you go" as I'm sure most people that served still do. Whom do you think started cleaning up the environment in the 60's? If it didn't start then when do you think it did start? The waters and air are a lot cleaner now because of the effort taken 40 and more years ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i believe it was the cleveland river that caught fire.

as far as the people 20 yrs ago being cleaner about the waters sorry not really believing that either. there were slobs 20 yrs ago 50 yrs ago 100 yrs ago. IMO everyone wants to think that as a youngster u were raised to respect the enviornment but im willing to bet that all this recycling wasnt there 50 yrs ago like it is today and its hard for me to agree that just because u were brought up then ur a cleaner person then the people raised in the last 30.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fishing 20 - 30 years ago was so much different. The only shanties back
then were made out of plywood. Not many on the lake. So when someone was catching fish you could see the fish laying on the ice. And befor long everone was around you catching fish. And yes back then there was guys that left beer cans and garbage laying around but not as
much because we were out in the open fishing. Now everyone has a shanty and no one knows what the other guy is doing 10 yards away. He might be catching tons of fish or making a mess (garbage) and no one will know. Sure a beer can and a couple of candy wrapers seem like nothing to some guys. But all and all the fishermen 30 years ago didnt leave as much laying on the ice. And the perch were much larger back then. That might have to do with there is more commerical netting now.
If guys in shanties would throw there fish on the ice so others could see them we all might catch more fish. wishfull thinking. haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
I remember ice fishing on Lake Erie about 25-30 years ago. Drive out from Sterling State Park about a mile out in about 12-15 feet of water, and just slaughtered the perch. Ice would be about 2-1/2 feet thick and a power auger was a must. Perch were pretty consistent in size too. I miss those days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i believe it was the cleveland river that caught fire.

as far as the people 20 yrs ago being cleaner about the waters sorry not really believing that either. there were slobs 20 yrs ago 50 yrs ago 100 yrs ago. IMO everyone wants to think that as a youngster u were raised to respect the enviornment but im willing to bet that all this recycling wasnt there 50 yrs ago like it is today and its hard for me to agree that just because u were brought up then ur a cleaner person then the people raised in the last 30.
I’m sorry but I know these places were cleaner then. If they weren’t why weren’t they closed back then? Why were so many closed in the past 10 years? Sure there were small fish left on the ice, old bait and of course back then… cigarette butts, not plastic food wrappers, plastic bottles, plastic bags etc. etc. Seems that some people are never without that bottle of whatever and bag of food and then when they finish it drops to the ground and takes root there.
Recycling... you recycle because your locality makes you do it or at least makes it easy. Back when I was younger we recycled. We had glass milk bottles not plastic, food came in paper and cardboard boxes not plastic and foam. The bottles were returned and you got a bottle of milk or whatever. The cardboard was cut and bundled and it was sold (I think 2 cents a pound) you could recycle cans also, they made M1 carbines out of recycled cans during the War among other things. Recycling isn’t new it started long before you and I were born. The environmentalists were teaching classes back in the 60’s their students had a lot to do with bringing up the environmental issues to the government as most corporations and industry would do nothing about it. This didn’t start in 1999. Your father or grandfather probably worked for one of those companies as did I, and you most likely use or drive one of those company’s cars or trucks now. And if people from my generation didn’t put a gun to their corporate heads they still would be pouring that S#$T into the environment today. So now they take their factories and jobs elsewhere to pollute where the environmental laws are much more lax. None the less, individuals still trash our fishing sites, and make it bad for us all young and old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts