Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy (flockshot) and I did a little spearing today. He hasn't shafted many fish and has never taken a limit. I told him we'd check that off his list today.

We got to the lake before light. I only had to dodge 3 shots from angry lakefront residents from running my chainsaw at 645am.

We still had 20 minutes of darkness after the shanty was all set and we settled in. 7 foot of cloudy water. Good weed towers very close to our hole. Kinda reminded me of getting to my deer stand FAR before shooting light. Relaxing.

The first fish paid our 12" chub a visit at 830. flockshot shanked the 26" male in short order.

After the silt settled, IT WAS ON! We saw 5 different fish between 830 and 10. All were between 25 and 28". I handed off the spear when it was my turn so Adam could complete his limit. He took a plump female to bag his first full creel!

The sun was a welcome sight and it warmed the Ameristep shanty up to 55 degrees in no time.

No big guys paid us a visit today, and we called it a wrap at 1030.

We had some fun with the fish though, as I teased one up to the hole with the deke and snached it with my hands. I don't think he'll be approaching any giant black holes in the ice any time soon...

Here's some pics and vids from today:

Sneakin in:

Smellin the goods:

Messin with sasquatch:

[ame="http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh38/JCrean/?action=view&current=pikewoot3.mp4"]pikewoot3.mp4 video by JCrean - Photobucket[/ame]

Adams (flockshot) first limit!!!

Only gonna get better for the next 3 weeks before season closes!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
today was a freaking riot! lol. seriously....so many fish. it would have been nice to have seen some hawgs but just a week or so again i would have been happy to see one fish so i will not begin to be picky. fellahs, i had no desire to spear...at all...staring down a hole for 2 hours for one fish, psh....i couldnt have been more wrong... all it took was one day, staring down the hole for two hours when that one fish swam in and the spear was tossed. Been hooked ever since!

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
today was a freaking riot! lol. seriously....so many fish. it would have been nice to have seen some hawgs but just a week or so again i would have been happy to see one fish so i will not begin to be picky. fellahs, i had no desire to spear...at all...staring down a hole for 2 hours for one fish, psh....i couldnt have been more wrong... all it took was one day, staring down the hole for two hours when that one fish swam in and the spear was tossed. Been hooked ever since!

LOL. Too many hobbies....

PS. Isn't it about time to change your signature? It's 2 years old!!!

·
Administrator
40,917 Posts
Very cool.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Your bro talked me into picking up some fakes. Haven't had any real success with them yet.
Oh. Hmmm. Thats kinda strange. We have alot more luck with our fakes than with live suckers or goldens. I dont recall having a live decoy at all last year and only used one for part of the season in 2009. Dekes are a helluva lot easier to use too than screwing around with live decoys. Not sure which ones you are using but if it is a bear creek theres a good adjustment for them. When you get to where your gonna spear put your vehicle in neutral and get the decoy and place it under the front drivers side tire and then put the vehicle in gear. That should fix it.....:lol:. In all honesty I have had a couple of them and I didnt realize how crappy they were until I saw what a good decoy should swim like. We use ours as decorations now. So if thats what you have I would bet thats the problem. I dont recall ever decoying a fish with those dekes. Ryan told me you talked to him. We can set you up with some dekes that will kill some fish. The top one in my avatar is a real killer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.