Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just ordered a spear head, but not sure how long to make it and how heavy. Its one i have posted about(xtremespeargear), i figured i would go cheaper at first to make sure if i like it, I know i probably will but money is tight now days. Im going to get a handle welded just gotta find out how long to make it. The shanty we are going to be spearing from is about 6 foot in the middle so i was thinking somewhere in the 4-4.5 foot range? Im also going to be spearing in around 6 foot or less because of water clearity. but that got me thinking can the shaft weigh too much and cause the spear to "flip" in the water? any answers would be helpful. thanks

·
Darkhouse Ninja
5,625 Posts
Half inch diameter by 5' is a pretty typical handle.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Ohub Campfire mobile app
All my spears handles I hand forge are 1/2" dia and 5' long that puts my spears around the 6' mark don't go shorter the longer they are the better they fly, less time out your hand to the fish on deeper shots!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright thanks for the info. It does take a 1/2 inch shaft, so i think i will make it five foot. does anyone paint their spears to match the ice better or doesnt it matter much? Was thinking maybe like a white faded into the black. IDK maybe a dumb idea

·
Darkhouse Ninja
5,625 Posts
mines hand forged so its naturally black but I paint the ones I sale all flat black.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright thanks again for the info. hopefully my spear will be done soon and maybe i will see some of you guys out there!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet thanks. I was ping to aim for around 5 pounds. Also how does everyone cut their holes? I don't wanna spend the money on an ice saw yet. Do you thing a hand saw for wood would work? I was thinking of using my auger to cut 4 holes and a hand saw to connect them?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
yes a wood saw will work. It just cuts much slower than a saw designed for ice. You can also spud between the holes pretty quick.

Man has been making holes in the ice to spear from way before we had saws;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha that's true. I will have to find what works best or me. We have access to a chainsaw but I think that it might be more of a pain than it's worth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts