Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Is there a specific reason you want loose eggs? I river fish from sept. thru march, and rarely use loose eggs. We fish either salmon or steelhead skein. You can tie it fresh or borax cure it. Don't let not having lose spawn keep you from fishing. :) :) Roughneck

· Registered
44 Posts
Hemish, don't worry about the spawn being old I figure old spawn is better then NO spawn. If you happen to catch a female steelhead while fishing string her up and with a knife or pair of scissors cut a gill or two on either side of the fish. This will bleed the fish and the skeins will also lose the blood in them and be much brighter. When you get home you can either keep it for fresh or wash it off with fresh water and wrap it inpaper towel and put in cold area over night. The next day cut it into pieces big enough (say thumb nail size) for tying into sacs. I shake the pieces up in a zip lock bag with 20 mule team borax. Seperate the spawn from the powder and put enough for a days fishing in a freezer bag and freeze. Maybe you already no this or have a different method. Take it or leave it good luck! ;) :D Roughneck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.