Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you are already aware, the DNR last week came up with an emergency order that “temporarily” bans the “broadcasting of roe.” In effect, this amounts for a victory for a very distinct minority of anglers since it bans the use of chumming with fish eggs. The special interest in question saw their little window of opportunity with the VHS disease and the head of the Fisheries, Jim Dexter, ignored the input from his field biologists and pandered to this fly-fishing minority that wanted it banned.

Supposedly, this is a temporary ban with the intent for it to be lifted once VHS has spread to all areas of the Great Lakes, namely Lake Michigan. What’s ludicrous is that it’s OK to use spawn bags, but a handful of eggs is deemed hazardous. Why stop there? Why not just ban all salmon from coming upstream this fall since those fish are going to be “broadcasting” a hell of a lot more eggs than the common anglers can.

Make no mistake, the field biologists do not think that chumming has any adverse affect on the fishery one bit. This is not about “slowing the spread of the disease,” this is about Jim Dexter siding with a minority special interest group who have no intention of bettering the fishery for all that use it. Once again, it comes down to fly-fishermen trying to put the squeeze on bait fishermen simply for the fact that most of these fly jockey guides can’t stand being outfished by a bait fisherman in front of their clients.

A good percentage of salmon migrate from Lake Huron, due to a better forage base in Lake Michigan, and then subsequently run up lake Michigan rivers—that much is fact. What else is fact is that Lake Huron is a watershed that’s infected with VHS. Those potentially carrying the disease will dump millions of eggs into lake Michigan tribs this fall. Is Mr. Dexter going to identify those lake Huron salmon and have them ticketed for broadcasting roe?

The point is this: If you’re a bait fisherman, you need to make some noise. This isn’t so much about chumming, but rather making sure we let the DNR know that we aren’t going to accept them pandering to special interest. If you enjoy fishing spawn in this state, you need to e-mail Jim Dexter and show your displeasure at this new emergency order. A number of us are already working on fighting this, but we need some help! A simple e-mail to Jim Dexter voicing your displeasure with this ban would go a long way.

E-mail addy:

[email protected]

As always, it comes down to us having to fight off special interest minorities in order to enjoy the sport of salmon fishing. Scientific fact has not been used in this instance and despite what the field biologists have told Mr. Dexter, he chose to appease the special interest, period.

·
Registered
26,599 Posts
Just tie your bags upstream from where you'll be fishing and repeat many times, oops, oops, oops ;)

It not what you know, it who you ****

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Oh, my. How did I ever catch fish without chumming, in the past?

That was tongue-in-cheek, and not a poke at TC. I have chummed with eggs before, and I have caught plenty of fish with and without chumming. I agree that this is caving to a special interest group, and sets a dangerous precedent which could possibly lead to a ban on using eggs for bait. Bad, bad, bad. I will be sending my email tonight. This whole idea is just stupid.

With the strong likelihood that Asian Bighead and Silver Carp will be firmly entrenched in the Great Lakes in the next decade, and could very well destroy sport fishing as we know it, I am all for people having as much fun catching Salmon and Steelhead with any method that gets them to bite, before it all comes to a screeching halt.
Can't wait for all the bargain basement deals on Ebay for IMX rods, and Cardinal reels. Maybe the fly guys can show us how to tie an algae pattern; but don't get caught chumming with algae!!!

Thanks for outing this, TC. Let everyone know. Anyone who does not agree with this needs to speak (or email) out against this, or shut up forever.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fishndude said:
Oh, my. How did I ever catch fish without chumming, in the past?

That was tongue-in-cheek, and not a poke at TC. I have chummed with eggs before, and I have caught plenty of fish with and without chumming. I agree that this is caving to a special interest group, and sets a dangerous precedent which could possibly lead to a ban on using eggs for bait. Bad, bad, bad. I will be sending my email tonight. This whole idea is just stupid.

With the strong likelihood that Asian Bighead and Silver Carp will be firmly entrenched in the Great Lakes in the next decade, and could very well destroy sport fishing as we know it, I am all for people having as much fun catching Salmon and Steelhead with any method that gets them to bite, before it all comes to a screeching halt.
Can't wait for all the bargain basement deals on Ebay for IMX rods, and Cardinal reels. Maybe the fly guys can show us how to tie an algae pattern; but don't get caught chumming with algae!!!

Thanks for outing this, TC. Let everyone know. Anyone who does not agree with this needs to speak (or email) out against this, or shut up forever.
Exactly, this isn't about chumming per se' but if Dexter caved on this, what's to say that they might think a spawn bag is just as dangerous as a handful of eggs?

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
On the one hand, I don't like chumming, on the other it does set a dangerous percedent. You are correct in that it will soon become illegal to use spawn bags as well. While I think there are some guys out there, no, in fact I know a couple of guys, who can't catch steelhead without throwing out handsful of chum, they'll just have to figure out to be better fisherman. I have caught a good number of steel over the years, and don't chum. I sort of equate with deer hunting over a bait pile, I think that sucks too, but its what guys do. Need to be careful with the DNR on this one.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,989 Posts
While I am sure that your correct TC, I just wondered where this is posted or can be found issued by the DNR.
I didn't see it on their website, unless I missed it somehow. I did not read Fridays outdoor section in the paper either and it's gone from the house now. I just hate to take a post on the web as fact without seeing it officially.
If this is true it is completely ridiculous, even if you do not like chumming. Simply using spawn certainly means your leaving some in the river, so whats the point?! It really does open a door.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll hear more of it this coming week, since it only became public knowledge on Friday.

However, this is the exact wording of the order sent to me by someone in the media who recieved the press release:

"Except as further restricted in this Fish Disease Control Order, a
person shall not use or otherwise release Baitfish that are listed as
Prohibited Fish Species, or Roe harvested from fish that are listed as
Prohibited Fish Species, in any public waters of the State, unless
that person is fishing and those Baitfish or that Roe are attached to
a hook."

As soon as I get the link to the order, I'll post it.

Another item, as mentioned in Hamilton Reef's post in the outdoor news forum is that the DNR will start ticketing boat owners who do not drain their boats right there at the ramp.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, it's important for anyone who opposes this measure to contact Jim Dexter and let him know that. Go to the NW forums and you'll see alot more good reasons and arguments why this should be opposed!

mailto:

[email protected]

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Dad Has Been Fishing With Spaw For Fourty Years, And I Have Followed By Fishing Spawn Also, There Is No Reason To Stop The Spawn Fisherman From Fishing With Spawn.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
doesn't this fall under the approval of the almighty appointed N.R.C. those are the idiots that should recieve e-mails and that sham the scam dexter clown. this is the same mentallity being used on the crossbow issue pure insanity to please a few pompous as***!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts